A Bipartisan Measure Introduced by US Senators Allowing Biden to Outlaw TikTok and Other Services

Caroline Carreon, Student Writer

The latest in a series of congressional proposals that threaten TikTok’s future in the United States, twelve US senators on both sides of the aisle unveiled bipartisan legislation on Tuesday that would increase President Joe Biden’s legal authority to impose a nationwide ban on the video-sharing app.

TikTok is not explicitly mentioned as prohibited by the law, known as the Restricting the Emergence of Security Threats that Risk Information and Communications Technology (RESTRICT Act). However, it seeks to grant the US government new authority including the ability to impose a ban against foreign-affiliated manufacturers of electronics or software that the Commerce Department considers a threat to national security.

Shou Chew, the CEO of TikTok, stated this week that the business has never received a request of this nature from the Chinese government and would never abide by one.

By hosting US user data on servers run by US tech giant Oracle, the company has voluntarily kept US user data separate from the rest of its global organization.

The business is also negotiating a potential deal with the Biden administration that might permit TikTok to continue its US operations under certain restrictions.

A bill that would force the Biden administration to impose a nationwide ban on TikTok if an analysis of the platform revealed possible risks to US user data risks that numerous administration officials have already stated exist was advanced by the House Foreign Affairs Committee last week.

Another measure sponsored by Sen. Marco Rubio would outlaw business dealings by social media firms with headquarters in or “substantial influence” over nations that the US considers foreign enemies. The bill, which was unveiled on Tuesday by South Dakota Republican Sen. John Thune and Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee Mark Warner is less prescriptive and gives the Commerce Department broad latitude to identify and then mitigate perceived risks associated with technology produced by firms with ties to foreign adversaries like China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, and Venezuela.

According to Warner, the legislation would encompass a wide range of technologies in addition to social media, such as e-commerce, quantum computing, financial technology services, and artificial intelligence.

Technology in satellite and mobile networks, cloud services and storage, internet infrastructure providers, home internet equipment, commercial and personal drones, video games, and payment apps, among other areas, is also given priority in the text of the law.