Kendrick Lamar performs during The Pop Out - Ken & Friends concert presented for pgLang, Free Lunch, and Amazon Music at the Kia Forum on June 19th, 2024 in Inglewood, California.
Kendrick Lamar's "Pop Out" Concert with Friends, A Juneteenth to remember
Kai McGheeJune 21, 2024
2 years later at HCC
2 years later at HCC
Paulina Garcia, Staff Writter • June 21, 2024
Animals
The Importance of Flea & Heartworm Prevention
Guadalupe Mejia, Staff Writer • June 19, 2024
1960s-era pill could bring free love back to Houston
Health
1960s-era pill could bring 'free love' back to Houston
Brandon De Hoyos, Staff Writer • June 18, 2024
Uncategorized
Diving into the deeper meaning of Disney Pixar's "Inside Out" and how it relates to adults & children in the real world.
Kai McGhee, Student • June 14, 2024

Disappointment of 76ers Fans: The New Allen Iverson Statue

Iverson at 76ers Stadium.

Just last Friday, the 76ers stadium unveiled a new statue of Allen Iverson. When it came to the fan’s reception of this art piece, they were not pleased of the size of this statue of their NBA superstar. The fans claim that the size of the statue is the exact size of a “trophy”. When the fans got a whiff of this news, they quickly went to social media to express their thoughts about this “small size” statue.

A little backstory on Iverson, he played for the 76ers for 12 out of 14 seasons of his career. Also, he was awarded Rookie of the Years, 2001 MVP, and even named in 11 All-Star teams, and even more when it comes to his bright basketball career. With all these accolades that this basketball star has racked up in his career, fans still confused by the size of this statue that supposed to honor this huge NBA star.

So, about that statue. Much like Iverson, the tiny depiction took a beating on social media for not being properly lifelike for a statue. But it wasn’t built for sizes normally found outside sports stadiums, but rather is part of a row of similarly-sized ones that line a private walkway that only players, employees and executives (and the media) can access at the practice facility.

“How do you think I got that good? I had to practice,” Iverson said. “I just thought it was a bad rap on me. One day I’m walking in the streets and people come up to me and say ‘Practice? We’re talking about practice?’ and I be like, ‘Man, out of all the things I accomplished in my career, that’s the only thing you can come up with?’ Crazy.”

“When you think about the statue,” Iverson said, “that’s a representation to y’all people that helped me. To everyone that played a part in my development and in my life. When y’all see that statue, y’all could feel good about the part that y’all did in helping me with my life. This is such an honor, man. It don’t even seem real.” Despite the fan’s disappointment, Iverson was just fine with the honor.

Iverson looking at the brand new statue of himself.