FILE - Migrants wait to be processed by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol after they crossed the Rio Grande and entered the U.S. from Mexico, Oct. 19, 2023, in Eagle Pass, Texas. A Texas law that allows the state to arrest and deport migrants suspected of illegally entering the U.S. will remain on hold for now, a federal appeals court ruled. The order late Tuesday, March 26, 2024, from the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals followed a March 20 hearing by a three-judge panel of the court. It’s just the latest move in a seesaw legal case that is not yet over. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)
News
Texas' migrant arrest law is on hold for now under latest court ruling
Oswaldo Medina, Student Writer • March 27, 2024
Uncategorized
Media
Nilab Ahmadi, student • March 26, 2024
Boats move near a container ship as it rests against wreckage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
News
Baltimore Key Bridge , Francis Scott Collapse
Andrnique Boyd, Student Writer • March 26, 2024
HCC ADN Nursing Program making a 'strong comeback'?
Jennifer Mendez, Student • March 26, 2024
College student presenting their picket sign at protest
Education
Tuition Rising for Immigrant and Minority in Canada
Tammarious Scott, Associated Press • March 26, 2024

Mayor Whitmire divests from Public Safety and Infrastructure

Mayor Whitmire pursues plan to demolish newly constructed medians along Houston Avenue
Karen Warren
Pedestrians use newly constructed safety island to safely cross the street.

Houston’s new mayor, John Whitmire, has initiated the removal of pedestrian medians located from Lubbock Street to Washington Avenue along Houston Avenue. The infrastructure project only totaled a sensible $100,000 in the installation of medians along Houston Avenue, but after demolition and work done to repave the street to its original state will put the project over $730,000 once all is said and done. These medians are being removed just 2 months after their completion, after concerns from police stating the medians are making driving difficult.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Nobody Bikes (@nobody.bikes)

These medians were constructed with previous mayor’s, Sylvester Turner,  Vision Zero Executive Order in mind. Vision Zero is a city project plan aimed at ending traffic deaths and serious injuries by 2030 in Houston. Whitmire, who ran on improving public safety, infrastructure, and delivery of city services is immediately acting against his promises. The plan stresses “Everyone deserves safe, accessible streets and sidewalks.” except according to Mayor John Whitmire’s direct decision, people just don’t deserve a safe, accessible street along Houston Avenue.