This image released by AMC shows Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live. (Gene Page/AMC via AP)
Walking Dead’s “The Ones Who Live” Aired Finale March 31st
Zachary MillerApril 16, 2024
Trouble on the Texas horizon as S.B.4 is put on hold
Politics
Marco Flores, Student Writer • April 16, 2024
Graduation
A Graduation Story
Andrnique Boyd, Student Writer • April 16, 2024
Immaculate Movie Review
Entertainment
'Immaculate' Movie Review
Julissa SaucedaApril 16, 2024
News
Fire in Copenhagen burns down 17th Century Old Stock Exchange Building
Diego Hernandez, Student Writer • April 16, 2024

Award Winning Rapper Jay-Z had some aspersions to include in his winnging speech at the 2024 Grammy Awards

66th+Annual+Grammy+Awards+-+Show%0AImage+ID+%3A+24036114073767%0AJay-Z%2C+left%2C+accepts+the+Dr.+Dre+Global+Impact+Award+as+daughter+Blue+Ivy+Carter%2C+looks+on+during+the+66th+annual+Grammy+Awards+on+Sunday%2C+Feb.+4%2C+2024%2C+in+Los+Angeles.+
(AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)
66th Annual Grammy Awards – Show Image ID : 24036114073767 Jay-Z, left, accepts the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award as daughter Blue Ivy Carter, looks on during the 66th annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2024, in Los Angeles.

The 2024 Grammys became a stunning night as usual, with big-name music industry stars earning countless awards. Many unexpected names were earning top-category spots as well as repeating earners winning in categories that they might not have specialized in.

For the most part, these kinds of upsets and controversial nominations are settled online or after-the-fact commentary on the award show. Well, this year one particular winner decided to make a couple of comments to show how he truly felt about the effects of the awards.

Rap icon Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter won the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award during the Grammys. Beginning his acceptance speech, he graciously thanked Dr. Dre, the foundations he was a part of, and everyone in support of him.

He then went on to speak about the Grammys in the past and how some of the winnings sparked inequity in the music community. Causing artists of the time like Will Smith to boycott the year that his award wasn’t televised, as well as Jay Z himself boycotting the year that he was nominated for rap album of the year while DMX dropped two albums that year, one of which going number one on billboard charts.

He stated that they were making grievances and boycotting because “We want y’all to get it right. At least get it close to right”. He continued by pointing out how evident it is that music is subjective but there should at least be a connection between popularity or statistics and awards.

He gave an example being his wife, legendary pop diva, Beyonce, stating “She has more Grammys than everyone and never won album of the year, so even by your own metrics that doesn’t work. Think about that, the most grammies, never won album of the year that doesn’t work”.

66th Annual Grammy Awards – Show
Image ID : 24036113735538
Fantasia Barrino, scond from left, performs a tribute to Tina Turner alongside Beyonce, center, and Jay-Z during the 66th annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2024, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

Some say that he is only speaking out due to his wife being in attendance and that he wouldn’t stick up for another artist. Should the Grammys take heed of Jay-Z’s comments and make changes to their nomination rubrics? Only more to come as other artists unpack their opinions on the match HOV has struck!