The Egalitarian salutes HCCs Spring 2024 graduates
Showcase
The Egalitarian salutes HCC's Spring 2024 graduates
Egalitarian Staff May 15, 2024
Uncategorized
My HCC Experience
Julia Perez May 9, 2024
Uncategorized
Katy Texas Urban Legend Centuries In The Making
Zachary Miller May 7, 2024
Houston Community College is an open admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education.
Education
My amazing commutity college experience with Houston Community College
Tammarious Scott, Associated Press • May 7, 2024
Reflecting on My College Experience
Reflecting on My College Experience
Julissa Sauceda May 7, 2024

THE FASHION INDUSTRY IS RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS!

Second Hand Stores Are Saving the Fashion Industry
This+photo+taken+Oct.+8%2C+2009+shows+an+evening+coats+and+dresses+which+are+included+in+the+exhibit+called++Painting+the+Town%3A+1920s+High+Style+in+Dallas.+
Donna McWilliam
This photo taken Oct. 8, 2009 shows an evening coats and dresses which are included in the exhibit called ” Painting the Town: 1920’s High Style” in Dallas.

It is no surprise that the latest trends are things one has seen back in the 80s, 90s and even early 2000s. But what happened to being innovative? What happened to evolving? Well by the looks of it, fashion designers are running out of ideas and deciding to bring back fashion from the old times.

Fashion has been around for many years. Dating back to cavemen wearing nothing but bones and shells to the first “human being” wearing nothing but a piece of rag to cover themselves. One thing is not having the resources to be creative and expand so they had no excuse, but now? Somehow people have no inspiration whatsoever.

When you really think about it, “fashion” did not really start until the late 1800s when the late famous designer, Frederick Charles woke up one day and decided that enough was enough. “It’s a form of art, a way for people to express themselves” or so he said. He inspired Parisian fashion. In other words, he is the reason for the bust lift in women’s dresses in the early days. He is also the reason for runways and whatnot.

From beautiful flappers to bloomers and colorful clothing we have gone full circle. There was a point in history when young girls would wear leggings underneath their denim skirts… or even worse, galaxy leggings! What in the world were these people thinking?

With the help of social media platforms, people have found a way to bring back old trends. While the silhouettes are very flattering, fast fashion has just showcased the lack of creativity in designers, however when these trends are bought from second hand stores,  it gives a feeling of nostalgia to a generation that was not able to experience it the first time and therefore could inspire a greater inter-generational bond in a social milieu that has become increasingly polarized. Some are beautiful, for example 90s silk dresses and baggy pants but some trends need to be buried. Thankfully, we have second hand stores to help with that.