HCC employees undergo new training

Alyssa Foley, Editor In Chief

Houston Community College’s chancellor directed all HCC employees to complete new discrimination response training by March 31.

In a memo issued Feb. 26, Dr. Cesar Maldonado stated, “It is an important part of all our jobs to keep HCC a respectful and safe learning and working environment. I personally endorse the concept of “See something…say something!””

Chancellor Maldonado defined HCC’s non-discrimination policy in the memo, “No employee, student, applicant, vendor or visitor will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity or veteran status except where such distinction is required by law. No reprisals or retaliation of any kind shall be taken against an individual who exercises his/her rights under the law.”

“Any proven charge of discrimination will result in appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including suspension or termination from employment,” concluded Dr. Maldonado. Any possible violations of the college’s discrimination or sexual harassment policies should be reported to the Office of Institutional Equity at 713‐718‐8271.

The training will be in the form of an online module. This training follows changes in federal law and directives from the Department of Education. “It is required to be in compliance with federal law,” explained David Cross, HCC’s director of the Office of Institutional Equity and an Equal Employment Opportunity compliance officer. “It makes sure that we are tracking and addressing complaints that come in and have safety-sensitive issues.”

“Usually when you hear “sex discrimination” you think about sexual harassment,” said Renee Mack, but, “this module covers much, much more.” Mack is the manager of HCC’s Equal Employment Opportunity Compliance office and is the Title IX compliance coordinator. Mack continued, “It covers sexual assault, it covers stalking, it covers dating violence and basically educates employees. If a student does approach them — a faculty member — and wants to report something, we want to make sure that the employees understand our role in how they should move forward.”

Cross said that the changes in federal law, “also requires that we provide information for our students.” The online employee training is just the beginning of a series of moves to raise awareness of discrimination issues at HCC.

Mack explained the multifaceted approach HCC will be using to educate students about this issue. Plans include infusing Title IX into first-time orientation sessions and HCC’s college success courses such as EDUC 1300. Posters will be going up on all HCC’s thirty-plus locations to raise consciousness and provide contact information. “We’re also going to try including a link online for students to take a very quick module on Title IX and their rights and we’re going to ask faculty to consider giving students extra points — extra credit — for those who go and take the module.”

All of this is based on Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. It protects people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities which receive federal financial assistance. Title IX states that, “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

“We want students to know that everybody has rights,” Mack said, “This is not just for females, it’s for anybody who experiences some sort of sexual misconduct on or around HCC campus or at HCC sponsored activities. This is for everybody.”