Holiday Shopping: Is Online or in Person Better?

Cecilia Mancera, Student Writer

Carolyn Kaster

Some of us refuse to go to the store just to get the essential things we need for the week. So many people now use Curbside pick-up or delivery, making it easier and less stressful.

What about for the holidays? Do you go into Walmart or Target for toys and stocking stuffers? How about Macy’s or Dillard’s for gift sets for your parents or grandparents? Now a days we all find the option of shopping online for any presents or holiday essentials we may need.

According to Statistica, “In both 2021 and 2022, about 57 percent of US consumers…shop online during the holiday season”. I definitely contribute to that percentage; shopping in person is quite stressful to me with kids screaming and kicking down the aisles.

I find that now, after the COVID-19 pandemic, most of my near friends and family do their shopping online. Even before that, the stores were never as bad as they are now. Walking into Target on Black Friday felt like mission impossible scene. All the sizes you need are sold out, the toys are all over the floor and people just can’t seem to find enough holiday cheer to say excuse me.

While shopping on Amazon is the best decision I could have made. It’s in the comfort of my home, I don’t have to get dressed and I don’t have my mom yelling at me to hurry up and pick something for her to wrap. There is definitely some peace in finding everything you need online, even at the store you need to go to get gifts, wrapping and even tape. The curbside option for these stores has been a lifesaver.

There is always something new to get use to in this world, and I think online shopping has become the new norm for any kind of spending. I don’t think however this will mean the malls will be empty, so best to do holiday shopping early!