Uncategorized
Your Educational Journey Does Not Have To Be Linear
Chayanne CabralesJuly 5, 2024
Bronny James & father LeBron James, #6 of the Los Angeles Lakers, in Los Angeles, California, last year. 
Photo Credit: Harry How/Getty Images
Making History: Lebron & Bronny James becomes first father-son duo in the NBA
Kai McGheeJuly 5, 2024
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/21014923/home-fireworks-safety
Animals
How To Keep Your Pet Comfortable This 4th of July
Guadalupe Mejia, Staff Writer • July 4, 2024
Most graduates left commencement after walking across stage. This image was taken while the last five rows were walking at graduation Saturday, May 14.
Uncategorized
My Experience As A First Generation Student
Carla CastañedaJuly 4, 2024
The Houston Chronicle reports, at least 353 killings in Houston since 2009 remain unsolved, with only about 7 percent of those cases involving white victims.
Houston Crime
Paulina Garcia, Staff Writter • July 3, 2024

A snapshot: When eagles soar with Pride

Brandon De Hoyos

Pride is a story of ascension. 

What started 56 years ago with a protest against oppression in New York’s gay community has become an international monthlong celebration, focusing on love and progress.

It’s a chance for LGBTQ+ people and allies to spread their wings and take flight, which made the 46th Pride Houston celebration an ideal setting for Eagles.

History Channel

“It’s called a community college for a reason,” HCC Southeast admissions adviser Danny Arocha said, inspecting the district’s float Saturday afternoon. 

“My brothers and sisters are out here representing this community because they are part of us, too.” 

There in the middle of Allen Parkway’s outbound lanes, just outside downtown Houston, a golden eagle soared against a background of rainbows and glittery white.

As Arocha helped put finishing touches on HCC’s flatbed trailer float, he talked about his memories of his first Pride parade last year. 

“The energy, just saying ‘hi’ to everybody and throwing swag,” Arocha recalled. 

“It’s a great light-up night parade,” Carmen Garcia chimed in as she unboxed rainbow clacker fans, stress balls and beads before showtime. “It’s just fun for all.”

In the next lane, Dawn Newcomer smiled as she thread zip ties through the grommets of Unitarian Universalist Network‘s walking banner.

The 60-something with the straw hat and Birkenstocks said if it wasn’t for Pride, she might never have found her footing as she came out at 17 in the ’70s.

“Everybody needs community. We’re social animals, and those who are marginalized need it more than anybody,” Newcomer said. “Pride brings people together and recognizes their humanity.”

With minutes before showtime, the sounds of EDM music sent people dancing around HCC’s float: Black, white and brown, some with cowboy hats, some without shirts, allies, kids, and drag queens, as well.

A snapshot in time, and an illustration of what makes our fourth largest U.S. city a great place to live, learn and love. 

“Diversity is one of the great things about Houston, Texas, right?” Arocha said.

For a list of LGBTQ+ community resources, visit HCC’s Support Services page.