Uncategorized
Your Educational Journey Does Not Have To Be Linear
Chayanne Cabrales July 5, 2024
Bronny James & father LeBron James, #6 of the Los Angeles Lakers, in Los Angeles, California, last year. 
Photo Credit: Harry How/Getty Images
Making History: Lebron & Bronny James becomes first father-son duo in the NBA
Kai McGhee July 5, 2024
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/21014923/home-fireworks-safety
Animals
How To Keep Your Pet Comfortable This 4th of July
Guadalupe Mejia, Staff Writer • July 4, 2024
Most graduates left commencement after walking across stage. This image was taken while the last five rows were walking at graduation Saturday, May 14.
Uncategorized
My Experience As A First Generation Student
Carla Castañeda July 4, 2024
The Houston Chronicle reports, at least 353 killings in Houston since 2009 remain unsolved, with only about 7 percent of those cases involving white victims.
Houston Crime
Paulina Garcia, Staff Writter • July 3, 2024

Houston Crime

(Curtis Perry/Flickr)

According to” statistics from the FBI and Security.org,” Houston, Texas, remains the fourth most dangerous city in the United States. It seems like every day that we watch the news there is something bad happening in our city. I know a lot of people don’t feel safe leaving their houses anymore due to fear of all things car accidents, robbery, and shootings.

A well-known place that is visited not just by residents but also by people traveling is The Houston Galleria shopping center. At some point being in this area felt safe, but not anymore many things have happened in this shopping center robberies and shootings.

Just last month June 12, 2024, according to Fox 26 News “2 dead, 7 injured at 6 different shooting scenes across the city, HPD says”.

Things are starting to happen even in the nicest areas maybe because we believe that we are safe there we let our guard down, and that when we don’t see the bad things coming.

The gas stations are a widespread place for crime to happen.

According to the FBI, 4.5% of all reported violent crimes in 2022 took place at a gas station or convenience store. With the use of paying with a card at the pump, it has been more convenient to just do it there. The bad thing is that people seem to be distracted all the time having money out with them makes it so much easier for the robber to just pull behind them and take the money and belongings.

Printed news and broadcast news have been very helpful in providing us with all the details of the crimes going around in our city. The changes that we need to feel safer with all this crime should start by always being alert to our surroundings. Hiring more HPD will benefit us since they are most of the time low staff.