Uncategorized
Your Educational Journey Does Not Have To Be Linear
Chayanne Cabrales July 5, 2024
Bronny James & father LeBron James, #6 of the Los Angeles Lakers, in Los Angeles, California, last year. 
Photo Credit: Harry How/Getty Images
Making History: Lebron & Bronny James becomes first father-son duo in the NBA
Kai McGhee July 5, 2024
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/21014923/home-fireworks-safety
Animals
How To Keep Your Pet Comfortable This 4th of July
Guadalupe Mejia, Staff Writer • July 4, 2024
Most graduates left commencement after walking across stage. This image was taken while the last five rows were walking at graduation Saturday, May 14.
Uncategorized
My Experience As A First Generation Student
Carla Castañeda July 4, 2024
The Houston Chronicle reports, at least 353 killings in Houston since 2009 remain unsolved, with only about 7 percent of those cases involving white victims.
Houston Crime
Paulina Garcia, Staff Writter • July 3, 2024

Kendrick Lamar’s “Pop Out” Concert with Friends, A Juneteenth to remember

TIMOTHY NORRIS/GETTY IMAGES
Kendrick Lamar performs during “The Pop Out – Ken & Friends” concert presented for pgLang, Free Lunch, and Amazon Music at the Kia Forum on June 19th, 2024 in Inglewood, California.

What could be a better way to celebrate black culture and bring the community together than with a Kendrick Lamar & Friends concert on Juneteenth during Black Music Month?

Kendrick Lamar representing Compton L.A, “pops out” with a pop-out concert in Inglewood, California joined by “friends” united the West Coast this Juneteenth with a celebration that was a memorable night for hip-hop.

Kendrick sold out the Kia Forum with 16,000 people from fans to a variety of celebrities like NBA stars Lebron James, California natives Russell Westbrook & DeMar DeRozan, other famous natives like Lauren London, Lakeith Stanfield, and some friends outside of California that attended. “The Pop-Out: Ken & Friends” would bring together a handful of West Coast artists like YG, Schoolboy Q, Tyler The Creator, Dr. Dre, Jay Rock, Ty Dolla $ign, DJ Mustard, AB-Soul, Westside Boogie, Roddy Rich, and more notable artists to perform.

Another “friend” that made an appearance was Tommy the Clown, the inventor of “clowning” and the krumping dance style, who sold out the Forum 23 years ago and got to come back to be a part of another legendary night such as this one. He was born in the midwest like me but raised in California, my cousins and I grew up watching Tommy the Clown and the krumping battles. So, Kendrick bringing Tommy and his dancers out was not only a surprise but a gift to my generation and the one before me.

Being his first live performance just one month since his rap feud with Drake, this concert was an unforgettable way to make an appearance. His newest hit “Not Like Us” from the rap feud with Drake, Kendrick performed the track for the crowd five times in a row and every time it was as if it was being played for the first time. Amazon Prime livestreamed the concert and fans all over raved about how unbelievable it was that Kendrick brought everyone together for a night like this. I missed the livestream when it first appeared but I was able to watch online and I could feel the energy of the room as if I was in the forum myself.

Anyone who may be a Kendrick fan could agree that he’s an artist who’s a genius in many ways not only musical but throughout his career he continues to represent for the culture. Watching some of my favorite songs performed and seeing him bring together so many artists from all over California and going down memory lane performing hits from old to new was something for fans like myself to appreciate. Kendrick showed out for the city and managed to bring the community together, according to Kailyn Brown at the LA Times, fans thought that the concert was the best way to celebrate Juneteenth.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2024-06-20/kendrick-fan-photo-essay-parking-lot-of-forum