The Facts Do Not Mirror The Story

Erin Slaughter, Student Writer

Over the last few years police brutality has increased at an alarming rate. Its numbers have reached such a troubling high that some are even in support of defunding the police. However, even with police brutality on the rise, some still believe they are the answers to our problems on the streets. Sen. John Kennedy created a campaign ad, and at the end says “Look, if you hate cops just because they’re cops, the next time you get in trouble, call a crackhead.”

Whether you are in support of the police or not, when an incident takes place involving them, the facts are the only things that matter, or that is the way it should be. Police are not or may not always be in control of their temper. This is evident when Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man, was beaten by Memphis police after they say he fled when they attempted to pull him over for reckless driving.

The injuries he sustained after being beaten for three minutes at that traffic stop, would cause him to be hospitalized for days and they would eventually be the cause of his untimely death. Investigations began soon after this incident, however releasing the video was a worry for the Memphis police department. Chief Cerelyn Davis of the Memphis police has said that the video shows a “heinous, reckless and inhumane” incident that she expects will draw public outrage.

When the video was first released, images and names of those involved were also released to the public. Although the initial pictures and names of the individuals were all American African men, employed at the Memphis police department, the number and job titles of those involved would increase. Originally there were five officers fired and charged with Mr. Nichols death. As the days went on, that number increased to seven and along with the seven police officers, a few EMTs were also relieved of duty. The city’s fire department announced that two of its EMTs and a lieutenant were terminated following their own internal investigation.

Along with the troubling number of those who failed to adequately do their job that evening, there are more troubling facts. The video in custody and those released do not mirror the initial police report. The report includes a description of a violent man, who refused to be subdued by the officers. One of the police officers is even described as a “victim” in the report. Ironic, the only victim in the whole incident was initially blamed for his own death.