How to make the most delicious Christmas cookies

Bema Kalys kyzy, Student Writer

Shortbread cookies are not in vain a festive classic: they are tasty, versatile and perfect for decorating with sweet colorful icing. Using cookie cutters, this simple dough can be turned into men, stars, Christmas trees and many other shapes.

Ingredients:
200 gr. unsalted butter at room temperature
150 g Sahara
1 large egg (or 2 small ones)
A couple of drops of vanilla extract
450 gr. flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
For decoration, you can use multi-colored sprinkles or glaze

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a mixer on low speed until smooth. Increase mixer speed and beat until light, creamy. Add egg and vanilla extract, then flour, baking powder and salt. Knead the dough until smooth.
The dough was divided into 3-4 equal parts. Wrap each piece in cling film and refrigerate for about an hour.
On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll a piece of dough into a layer about half a centimeter thick. Cut out the cookies with your favorite cookie cutters (don’t forget to lightly sprinkle them with flour before use, too). Roll the rest into a ball, wrap it in plastic and put it in the refrigerator.
Put the cookies on a baking sheet (it does not need to be oiled) at a distance of 2-3 cm from each other, sprinkle with pastry sprinkles, if you want.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until they are lightly browned. Transfer the finished cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Once the cookies have cooled down, you can make decorative icing and decorate them. Cookies can be stored in a tightly closed container for up to 2 weeks.