HCC Hosts Juneteenth Event Series: “Free to Be. Free to Breathe.”

Taliah Richards

As we approach Juneteenth, the day that is commemorated as the end of slavery, people around the country are protesting inequality and police brutality against black Americans. The deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and George Floyd have sparked much-needed dialogue about what it means to be black in America and how racism is still alive 155 years after slaves were declared free. 

Next week, the Office of Student Life at HCC continues the conversation by hosting several events leading up to Juneteenth. 

Student Life Facebook Live 

June 15 at noon 

HCC History Professor Alan Johnson will take part in a special Facebook Live to explain what Juneteenth is all about and what it means in light of the current events. There will also be Juneteenth trivia and chances to win prizes. 

View the Student Life Facebook Live 

Protect Your Peace 

June 16 at 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. 

This panel conversation will discuss how to process current events and how to make mental health a priority. 

Moderated by: Shar-day Campbell, HCC Enrollment Communications and Social Media Manager. 

Guest speakers will include:  

• Vanesia Johnson, a licensed clinical social worker who is certified in Critical Incident Stress Management 
  • Stephanie McKenzie, an HCC professor, certified coach, award-winning marketer and author 
  • Gregory Norwood, former president of the HCC Student Government Association and organizer of HCC’s Walk 2 Vote event 

Register for the discussion 

Voices from the Movement 

June 18 at 1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. 

A multi-generational panel consisting of activists, a forensic science expert, a journalist and scholars will discuss commemoration of Juneteenth and why it’s a call to action for everyone to stand up for freedom, justice and equality.  

Guest speakers will include: 

• Tammie Lang Campbell, an award-winning activist and founder of Honey Brown Hope Foundation 
  • Joye Carter, M.D., the independent medical examiner for the Sandra Bland case and the first African-American to be appointed as a Chief Medical Examiner in the U.S. 
  • Secunda Joseph, an activist and co-founder of ImagiNoir/BLMHTX 
  • Desmond Lewis, HCC Faculty Senate President and award-winning educator 
  • Aswad Walker, an Africana studies scholar and journalist 

Register for the discussion  

To register for any of these events or get more information, check out HCC’s Student Life Events.