International Festival celebrates diversity

Shanedra Smith, Staff Writer

TRiO Student Support Services Program hosted an International Festival on April 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. behind the San Jacinto building at HCC Central. The event provided lively and vibrant education and fun.

Rubina Khan, director of Tutor Services at TRiO, talked about the history of the International Festival. “The festival has been going on for about, ten years,” she stated.

“[We are] promoting diversity and different cultures,” Dr. Latonya Jones said. “[It’s about] togetherness,” stated TRiO adviser Carla Ferguson.

The International Festival showed just how many cultures are here at HCC Central, and how diverse and cultured Houston is. The festival featured many different cultures with performances by the HCC’s African Dance and Drum Ensemble, Spanish dancers and a belly dancer. The festival included Peruvian food, jewelry vendors, art, singing and a photo booth provided by Time 2 Smile USA.

“Seeing the other cultures are interesting,” said Jennifer Martinez, a History major and sophomore at HCC Central. Martinez performed a number with a partner, which looked a lot like an 80s-styled dance.

TRiO Student Support Services Program is a program created to help low-income, first generational students who are determined to graduate from HCC with high GPAs and scholarships. Diversity is very important to this program.

For more information on TRiO, visit them in the Learning Hub Science Building at HCC Central on the second floor, room 206.