Northeast holiday spirit

HSPVA Choral Society Young Performers sang Christmas carols at Codwell campus’ annual tree lighting ceremony held Nov. 25.

Jimmieka Mills, Contributor

As the holiday season is in full gear, HCC Northeast is in the spirit.

Codwell campus held their second annual tree lighting ceremony sponsored by the Northeast Student Life Committee.

The event was held Nov. 25 and was open to all students, staff and their families. It featured a live performance by the High School for Performance Arts (HSPVA) Choral Society.

The HCC Northeast President, Dr. Ford-Fisher was the key-note speaker. She touched on, “Memories of joy and togetherness in the holiday season.”
President Ford-Fisher’s address concluded with the annual tree lighting and introduction of the HSPVA Young Performers.

The HSPVA performers harmonized to well known carols such as “It’s Beginning to Look A lot like Christmas”, “Deck the Halls” and a fresh rendition of “This Christmas”.

“I’ve never in my life seen a tree lighting ceremony,” Julien Koyame, a HCC Northeast international student from West Africa. “I usually just go to school and home, this was nice to experience on campus.”

Many students were allowed to leave class to participate in the celebration. “What a beautiful ceremony”, said Tansy Hamm, an HCC Northeast Counseling major. “I even saw the President around talking to students and staff, that was really cool”.

Those in attendance were treated to, ” a traditional Thanksgiving meal” described Natasha Bamshevi of Student Life Northeast.

The event was organized by the Northeast Student Life committee, headed by coordinator Ashley Rhodes. This is Rhodes second year with HCC Northeast, she began the tree lighting event last year. When asked what encouraged her to begin this HCC tradition Rhodes stated, ” … there is only a week left in the semester, we wanted to celebrate with the students before everyone leaves for the holiday break.”

Those who were unable to attend the event are still encouraged to support the efforts to bring holiday cheer to those who are less fortunate by donating a toy at boxes set up at all HCC campuses. Donations will be given to Toys for Tots.