FILE - Migrants wait to be processed by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol after they crossed the Rio Grande and entered the U.S. from Mexico, Oct. 19, 2023, in Eagle Pass, Texas. A Texas law that allows the state to arrest and deport migrants suspected of illegally entering the U.S. will remain on hold for now, a federal appeals court ruled. The order late Tuesday, March 26, 2024, from the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals followed a March 20 hearing by a three-judge panel of the court. It’s just the latest move in a seesaw legal case that is not yet over. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)
News
Texas' migrant arrest law is on hold for now under latest court ruling
Oswaldo Medina, Student Writer • March 27, 2024
Uncategorized
Media
Nilab Ahmadi, student • March 26, 2024
Boats move near a container ship as it rests against wreckage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
News
Baltimore Key Bridge , Francis Scott Collapse
Andrnique Boyd, Student Writer • March 26, 2024
HCC ADN Nursing Program making a 'strong comeback'?
Jennifer Mendez, Student • March 26, 2024
College student presenting their picket sign at protest
Education
Tuition Rising for Immigrant and Minority in Canada
Tammarious Scott, Associated Press • March 26, 2024

A decision that has put the English Premier League in Crisis

AP Photo/Alberto Pezzali

The world of soccer has upgraded a lot in the recent years, and new technology has been introduced such as a Virtual Assistant Referee, where any decision in doubt is reviewed, but with such an introduction one would think that certainly there can be no more controversies, this match has proved it wrong.

The integrity of the sport in English Premier League is being questioned, even with advanced technologies major mistakes have been made.

On September 30th, the two giants Liverpool and Tottenham faced each other for a league game in Anfield. The atmosphere was electric, and the anticipation was palpable as both teams battled for supremacy in the Premier League. Liverpool had received a red card that had a player dismissed and were down to 10 men, but in control.

Mohammed Salah a liverpool player had created a chance by passing the ball to Luis Diaz who then netted the ball, the flag was raised and was called offside, the main referee had stopped the game to review the decision, and with everyone watching, it was clear that the player was onside and the decision was made wrong.

The referee with the help of Virtual Assistant Referee had decided to stick to the first decision of no-goal.

It was later revealed that the Virtual Assistant Referee had made a mistake, where he thought the actual call was for a goal being allowed and asked the referee to stick with the decision, without knowing that the call was for being offside and not just a goal check.

The decision had played a part in Liverpool to lose 2:1 to Tottenham, a decision that had a major upset not only for the fans but the league’s reputation as well.

Such decisions are crucial, with thousands watching, an error as such can surely cause massive damage. The referees are to face the consequence of not being selected for future matches.