USA DEFEATED IN WORLD CUP SOCCER PLAY TO THE NETHERLANDS

Charles D. Taylor, Student Writer

On Saturday December 3, 2022 in the Round of 16 of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, the United States men’s national soccer team were eliminated by the Netherlands by a score of 3 -1.

The Netherlands will face the winner of Argentina and Australia in the quarterfinals on Friday. First – half goals by Memphis Depay and Daley Blind were both more than enough for coach Gregg Berhalter’s squad as the Americans leave Qatar after tying Great Britain and defeating Iran to reach the Round of 16 tournament play.

This game showed how much the US Men’s National soccer team still need to grow as they were exposed to the Dutch counters. the US team did not concede a goal on open play during the group stage heading into Saturday. Denzel Dumfries dominated the wing with two assists and a goal to his name. the Americans were without Josh Sargent, who did not dress due to an ankle injury, and they missed his presence with the lack of movement and space in attack.

On the opening goal for the Dutch, Coady Gakpo made space for Depay to blow past the United States midfield to finish the chance created by Dumfries. Again before the half, a fullback Sergino Dest was caught flat footed for Blind to finish in a fullback to fullback goal that drove home the Dutch style of play.

Changes were made at halftime with Gio Reyna entering for Jesus Ferreira but that wasn’t enough to get back into the game as the Netherlands Prevailed.