It was all a Dream?

Quenton Brown, Student Writer

After six years and four unique seasons, Atlanta has come to an end. After season 3’s detour, the fourth and final season returned to its foundation for its victory lap. Season 4 had some great episodes but the series finale might be the best episode and the perfect ending for the show.

The episode opens with Darius zoned out watching an episode of Judge Judy while Earn and Alfred chat in the kitchen. They invite him out to lunch, but he tells them he’ll catch up with them after his sensory deprivation appointment.

Before his appointment, Darius stops by the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. While waiting for the pharmacist to retrieve his medication, he meets a woman who overhears he’s late to an appointment to a sensory-deprivation session. The woman explains she started going about a year ago, but had to stop because the visions had become too intense for her. Darius reveals his method to anchor himself in reality is, thick Judge Judy. He rationalizes that since Judge Judy is always on tv, if he sees Judge Judy and she’s thick he knows that he’s still in the tank. The pharmacist emerges from the back with the medication and before Darius leaves he compliments the woman’s spirit. It was such a beautiful moment between two strangers sharing an interesting conversation over a common interest.

As he walks to his appointment, Darius runs into London, an old friend from his partying days. She insists on giving him a ride so they can catch up. Darius reluctantly smokes with London and they get pulled over almost immediately. It isn’t a good look since London has been “macro-dosing” all day. London hilariously passes her sobriety test not even 45 seconds after chugging a whole water bottle of vodka. On her way back to her car, she steals the police mans gun, crashes into somebody on a bicycle, and takes off running leaving Darius with the gun.

We find that was a vision as he wakes up choking in the tank. The next few scenes are all inception-esque montages in which we’re not sure which part is reality and which part is vision.

While Darius is dealing with his visions, Earn, Van, and Alfred are having a peculiar time at the first black owned sushi restaurant in Atlanta. The restaurant which is located in an old blockbuster has the atmosphere of a corner store with a kitchen attached and a sushi lounge. They play various rap songs with Chinese influence while serving hot White Hennessy instead of sake. None of the dishes go over well, which irritates Alfred who can’t help but stare at the Popeyes across the street. He suggests leaving, but Earn and Van want to support black business.

We meet back up with Darius who drops off the medicine he picked up earlier with his brother. Their interaction is awkward at first, but becomes more endearing the more that they talk. While his brothers goes to make him a bowl of Jollof Rice, Darius stares at old photos and inquires about his mother and father. Darius looks up and for the first time in the episode we see Thick Judge Judy and sure enough Darius wakes up in the tank this time turned over.

Back at the Sushi restaurant, Alfred returns from the bathroom which happens to be located at the Rainbow across the street. That was the last straw for him, he has his mind made up he is going to Popeyes. The waiter insist that they stay for the blow fish, which is a Japanese delicacy that must be cut by specially trained Chef because the liver and skin are poisonous. Earn and Van agree with Alfred and they get ready to leave when the owner Demarcus appears.

Demarcus launches into a hilarious monologue about how black people came and packed out his restaurant the night of the premier of Queen & Slim, but left fifteen minutes later when served the blowfish, and left reviews that Demarcus was serving poison fish. When Alfred tries to reason with Demarcus, Demarcus simply suggests that Alfred and company eat the blowfish.

Darius arrives in the knick of time and knocks out Demarcus and leads his friends to his awaiting pink Maserati where he has Popeyes waiting for them under their seats.

After their daring escape, the quartet end up back at Alfred’s apartment. The group inquires about pink Maserati & Darius tells them he stole it from valet, and that he’s not worried about getting caught because he’s still in the tank. Earn tells Darius that he’s tripping and he’s really there and they’re really his friends, but Darius isn’t convinced. He believes that they’ve just been in his dream the whole time. Earn, Al, and Van ignore Darius and go outside to smoke. Judge Judy is on television again, but this time we don’t get to see if she’s thick or not, instead we’re just left with the image of Darius looking at the TV.

It’s fitting that Atlanta ended with ambiguous ending. Was the whole series just a figment of Darius’s imagination? Regardless of which way you might lean, the show ended on a high note and stamped its place not only on black culture but pop culture as a whole. A show that was initially describe as Twin Peaks with rappers has morphed into a show that’s in a lane of its own.