Don’t Worry Darling Movie Review

Cecilia Mancera, Student Writer

Debuting at #1 in the box office this week, Don’t Worry Darling directed by Olivia Wilde collects $19.2M in the US and $30M across the world (Rotten Tomatoes).

This psychological thriller stars Florence Pugh playing a devoted housewife named Alice, Harry Styles playing her workaholic husband Jack and Chris Pine playing a menacing Frank. This film takes place in the late 50s with the wardrobe consisting of nice suites, and past the knee long dresses. In the community the residents live in; it is expected of the men to go to work and the women to stay and attend to the home. However, no one knows where the men go to or what they really do, they are not to discuss it to anyone.

Frank is the one in control of this world and after someone starts to get suspicious, Frank has her reprehended along with her husband. Alice gets suspicious of this and starts having weird dreams. One day she takes a ride on the bus by herself and sees a red plane crash (this plane has a significance in the movie) and chases after it to find headquarters and almost dreaming in and out of reality. She wakes up at home with Jack cooking like nothing happened except this made her more reclusive to find out what is really going on.

We find out that Alice had a different life she dreams about, she was a doctor while Jack was a writer living in a small apartment in New York. It became clear that Alice was not dreaming, that was her real life and is stuck in this virtual reality due to Jack taking on a job for these sketchy people.

Hopping on “The Truman Show” bandwagon, this movie makes you doubt your own reality. It features many unexpected plot twists and realistic dramatic moments. Florence Pugh gives a remarkable performance and convincingly conveyed the fear, helplessness, and anxiety of a woman trapped in her own reality. I highly recommend this movie for those who want to immerse themselves in October’s spooky season.

Film Review - Don't Worry Darling Image ID : 22259690933672 This image released by Warner Bros. Entertainment shows Florence Pugh, left, and Harry Styles in a scene from "Don't Worry Darling." (Warner Bros. Entertainment via AP)
Film Review – Don’t Worry Darling
Image ID : 22259690933672
This image released by Warner Bros. Entertainment shows Florence Pugh, left, and Harry Styles in a scene from “Don’t Worry Darling.” (Warner Bros. Entertainment via AP) (Merrick Morton)