Simple Steps to Find The Right Career

Simple Steps to Find The Right Career

Quynh Mai Thy Pham, Student Writer

There is no one of us who can know what we want for our future to point out the right direction for ourselves from the beginning. Career determination seems to be easy but it is a serious issue that causes young people stressed out.

Step 1: Overcoming the barriers to career guidance of family and society

First, you need to overcome the career-oriented barriers of family and society. Although society has developed and civilized recently, there are still incorrect points of view when choosing a career.

  • Choose a job that follows the family’s tradition, or the parents’ needs.
  • Choose a job that follows the latest trend.
  • Choose a job based on its name, or its brand.
  • Choose a job that makes money easily

Your career orientation can only be accurate when you are self-centered and take time to explore your personality and your mindset. Some simple questions which you ask yourself to define what job is suitable for you

  • What are your talents and strengths?
  • What activities are you most satisfied with?
  • What kinds of mental activities can propel you forward?

Next, to choose the right career, you need to take important steps in the career process, don’t wait for others to guide you in your career path.

Step 2: Learn about different career fields in society

You need to spend time to understand different career fields in society at the moment or in the near future since each job’s title has various tasks to do. Therefore, you must prepare yourself a great amount of knowledge about the job you like or going to take in the future

Step 3: Define your strengths

Many young people believe that they can do a job well when they are passionate or like something that is related to that job. However, some research shows that this logic is not entirely correct. The correct answer must be the opposite side when you have strengths and are good at something, you will enthusiastic about that job. Therefore, in order to determine what your strengths are, you can rely on the results of the work you have been successful before or rely on the evaluation of friends and relatives. Sometimes the compliments of those who contact you will show you your strengths.

Step 4: Make a list of elements related to your desired career

After learning about the professions of job field in the society, you need to create a list of different factors which are related to the career that you want to do. For example, you like working and communicating with people or you want to work in the laboratory to research something. Moreover, you either like working in an active or professional environment, etc.  Also, you should consider how much salary you want for that job’s position. The more questions you can answer, the more easily you can define which career is suitable for you.

Step 5: Learning many soft skills

Participating in soft skills courses is a good method to discover, enhance, guide, and define yourself. Successful people only use 25% of their professional knowledge on their job and the remaining 75% are based on the soft skills they have learned and accumulated. You can participate in skill courses in your university, clubs, or any social community. When digging into a specific skill you will determine the future job you want to do.

Step 6: Self-experience and self-exploration

Finally, in order to orient your own career path in the future, there is nothing like experiencing and discovering all by yourself. Getting a part-time job while you are still in school is a good way to explore the workplace and the workflow. The advice for you is to try as many fields as you can instead of just focusing on one job. It’s the fastest and the most accurate way to discover the right career for you.


All the information above is useful information about personal career orientation which I collected from sources and also my experience. Hopefully, these shares have given you some insight into career guidance to map out the best plan for your future.

It doesn’t matter if you choose the wrong career, it is important to have a progressive spirit, eager to learn,  and not afraid of challenges to embark on new lands. Every choice, every step on your career journey is a valuable lesson for you to get closer to your dream job.

Wishing you the best of luck!