HCC Cosmetology offerings: “best kept secret”

HCC Cosmetology offering free beauty services through November

HCC Cosmetology student Miesha Laurent performs a flat iron blowout to her client at HCC Southeast

Ana Gonzalez, Culture Editor

Need a new hairstyle to end 2018 with a bang? Well, it’s your lucky day.

Thanks to Houston Community College and their Cosmetology department, you can get a haircut, an up-do, a facial, or even highlights, absolutely free!

Cosmetology students in their junior and senior levels are now applying the theories and practices they have learned during their time in the program.

You do not need an appointment to get services. However, due to student availability, they do recommend an appointment. Facials require advance appointments, and you can schedule them either in the morning or evening.

“This is not just exclusive to students, the public is welcome to stop by and take advantage of the services the department is offering,” says Michele Snelson, program coordinator and professor of cosmetology at HCC Southeast. “It’s HCC’s best-kept secret.”

Snelson also says that the purpose of the department offering these free services is to promote HCC and its Cosmetology department to the public and to showcase her graduating students and the contributions they have done so far.

The department will also be opening their Barber program in the upcoming Spring semester.

Her goal for each student is to get them prepared for the workforce and for real clients, and student Miesha Laurent agrees.

A senior cosmetology student who will be graduating next month with her certificate, Laurent does her best to make sure her clients are getting the best service possible. She already has a job as a natural hair stylist at Zayd’s Naturally Natural, and her long-term goal is to build up her own shop.

“My favorite is blow-outs,” she says. “They are the quickest and fastest way to do hair. Some people prefer to get in the salon and get out in as little time as possible.”

Freshman students are also taking advantage of learning from their junior and senior classmates. Instead of head mannequins, Snelson says that using real hair from real live people are a better way to get hands-on training and apply those skills to the workforce. It is also an opportunity to allow students to build up their portfolio.

The program runs until November 30th, and walk-ins are accepted from 9 a.m to 12:30 p.m.

Two HCC locations will be offering these free hair services: Katy (1550 Foxlake Dr., Katy) and Eastside (6815 Rustic St., Houston; in the Workforce Building).

Services include facials, haircuts, highlights, sets, shampoo, braiding, and up-dos. Men’s styles and haircuts are also offered. To schedule an appointment, you may call (713) 718-7527.