HCC mourns over loss of Mark Chavarria

Mark+Chavarria

Mark Chavarria

Fabian Brims, Staff Writer

When I met Mark Anthony Chavarria for the first time, he was one of the instructors during my first semester at HCC for Radio and TV Field Production. He introduced himself by saying he worked on a small movie called “Inception.” I immediately liked his sense of humor. Around Mark there was never a dull moment.

Shortly after the class ended, he asked two other students and me to help out with a movie shoot he was producing over the summer. During these few weeks under the burning sun in Winnie, Texas, we became friends and I also got to meet his family: his wife Alyssa and his son Tyler. We worked together on the movie “Mulberry Stains,” and this shoot was one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had in the film industry. I will never forget that time.

Mark was mostly working as a stunt performer and coordinator, but he worked in almost every position imaginable on a movie-set, and there are few people in the Texas film scene that have never heard of him. He produced, directed, wrote, acted, edited and even helped out as a production assistant when it was necessary. He worked with famous actors like Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Billy Bob Thornton, Danny Trejo, Cheech Marin and countless more, as well as the who is who of Hollywood directors like Robert Rodriguez, Christopher Nolan, Wes Anderson, Mike Judge, Stephen Soderbergh, Jon Favreau, Antoine Fuqua, Michael Bay and Edward Zwick. His credits include movies like “Idiocracy,” “Ocean’s 13,” “Machete,” “Iron Man,” “Olympus has fallen,” “Straight Outta Compton,” “Logan,” “Transformers: Age of Extinction” or “Terminator: Salvation,” and popular TV-shows such as “Friday Night Lights,” “Sons of Anarchy,” “Law & Order,” “Prison Break,” “11.22.63” and “Walker, Texas Ranger” – just to name a few. It’s no surprise people kept calling him “Hollywood.”

Everywhere he went he became quickly the center of attention which is remarkable considering he was relatively short, but what he lacked in height he made up with an extremely outgoing personality. However, that’s only half the story, because at the same time Mark was one of the hardest workers I’ve ever known, and his professionalism, especially when around guns, still defines for me what should be the industry-standard.

Then at some point, the family broke the shocking news – Mark was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer. Being trained in martial arts, Mark knew how to put up a fight yet his biggest was now right ahead of him. Even in the face of such a devastating diagnosis, he never shied away. Many would have just given up but not Mark. He put up the biggest fight I have ever seen and more than once it seemed he had won, but the cancer kept coming back. After battling the disease for more than four years, it ultimately took his life. He was only 49 years old.

During his last battle, he became an advocate for alternative treatments, spoke with countless other cancer patients, wrote articles, gave interviews, and got feedback from all over the world. He still gave people hope even when his own situation was hopeless. That’s how much of a hero he was. Mark was an inspiration for me, personally and professionally. I will never forget him and the impact he had on my life. With Mark being there now, heaven became a little bit more awesome. Rest in Peace Mark, I’ll miss you!

In Honor of Mark, the family would like everyone to wear BLUE for Colorectal Cancer Awareness so please wear “Blue for your Buddy.”

A Visitation will be held on Saturday, November 18, 2017, 11:00 am – 2:00 pm at Christ Memorial Lutheran Church, 14200 Memorial Dr, Houston, TX 77079. A Memorial Service will begin at 12:00pm, noon.

Immediately following the service, all are invited for a Celebration of Life at Watson’s House of Ales, 14656 Grisby Rd. Houston, Texas 77079.

https://www.gofundme.com/mark-chavarria-funeral-past-med