Chocolate Bar delights

Gunel Mammadzada

Jason Richey, the W. Alabama Chocolate Bar’s manager, talked about what makes their chocolate so irresistible.

Gunel Mammadzada, Staff Writer

You’ve never had chocolate like this before.

Of all the chocolate products I’ve ever tried nothing compares to the Chocolate Bar. The Chocolate Bar is a small family business that is located on Alabama street by West University Rice Village.

Chocolate made at the Chocolate Bar melts in your mouth. One of their secrets is sun-cured coco beans from Ivory Coast in Africa. It tastes so incredibly good that you’ll have to exercise significant self-discipline not to eat everything in sight.

The Chocolate Bar is not just about being delicious, but they strive to give to the customers a “fun” experience. The sights, the sounds and even the smells are all about having fun.

They provide the finest quality homemade chocolate products; ice cream, chocolates, cakes, pies, cookies and brownies. The main focus is on a customer service to assure that the chocolate bar guests will have an exceptional experience and look forward to returning.

The name Chocolate Bar “is a play on words,” explained Jason Richey, the bar’s manager. “We wanted to make it like a bar where people get drinks the difference is that in Chocolate Bar you get chocolate for kids and fun loving adults. That is the reason why we call our servers bartenders.”

The Chocolate Bar at 1835 W Alabama St, Houston, TX 77005.
Gunel Mammadzada

Richey talked about what makes the chocolate taste so good and moist, “We do three chocolates here: milk chocolate, dark chocolate and white chocolate. Chocolate has a certain kind of naturally occurring fat in it and that is what it makes it melt so easily whenever it gets above room temperature. The chocolate’s fat content that we use makes it melt very easy.

“…our chocolate is sourced from the Ivory Coast in Africa,” Richey said, “It is processed and brought here and then we turn it to whatever we want.”

The Chocolate Bar just celebrated their 15th year, but they don’t plan on expanding to new cities.
“It is a small family business,” Richey said, “if something gets out of control, nobody wants to drive more than 15 minutes to get to work nowadays. It is a neighborhood store. It is fun because it is close to home. We even have our owner’s family members who work in the store. For example, one of our owner‘s mother works in our kitchen.”

Looking for a place to host your next birthday party or special event?

“For special, events we do host birthday parties where the guest can have the package where you can get cake, cookies, brownies, ice cream,” said Richey. “Everybody can pick their own piece of cake. We have lots of different cuts. At our West University location in the Rice Village, we organize special parties for children and adults where they can make their own chocolate bars. What happens is that the bartender comes to their table with chocolate, candies all sorts of things where you can add it into the chocolate you want to make. The chocolate bar goes to the kitchen and it gets prepared. Later, the chocolate that you made, you can take it home or enjoy it in the chocolate bar. That is fun for large groups, for parties and especially for kids.”

You may also want to change your Halloween plans.

“Halloween – it’s one of our biggest holidays. On Halloween, we have a gift if you come to the store in Halloween costume, you get a free scoop of ice cream. All of our bartenders will be dressed up in costumes. We are going to have a lot of special things like “Chocolate Jack–O’–Lantern”. We also are going to have chocolate witches’ fingers. We want to have a lot of fun for Halloween,” explained Richey.

They are expecting a crowd. “…we have two schools close by and all the kids come after school in their costumes to get free scoop of ice cream,” said Richey.

Richey also stated that, “From now on, students from Houston Community College will be included in our student discount list. We give 10 percent discount to students of University of Houston, Rice University, Saint Thomas, and now we added Houston Community College.”

The Chocolate Bar has two locations: in River Oaks at 1835 West Alabama and in Rice Village at 2521 University Blvd.