HCC to move Missouri City campus

The+current+Missouri+City+HCC+campus+at+the+Sienna+location.+

Image coutesy of HCC

The current Missouri City HCC campus at the Sienna location.

Alyssa Foley, Editor in Chief

Houston Community College’s Missouri City campus will move from its current location in Sienna Plantation to about 40 acres near the municipality’s city hall.

With about 27,000 more square feet of space in the new facility, HCC officials the new campus should be able to host more than 150 percent of the current course offerings. It is unclear when classes will be moving, but currently the new location is a vacant lot.

According to HCC Chief Facilities Officer Chuck Smith Monday, the proposed 75,000-square-foot building and other site improvements have a current budget estimate of $28.6 million. The new Missouri City campus is currently projected to open in January 2017.

Over the years residential development and multi-family housing have obscured the Sienna Plantation location and made it difficult for students to find us,” HCC Chancellor Cesar Maldonado said in a press release. “The new location is closer to Highway 90 and on Texas Parkway and will be much more convenient for students, faculty and staff.”

The HCC Board of Trustees recently approved the $3.6 million purchase of 41 acres along Texas Parkway for the move. The new building will be financed by 2013 Capital Improvement Plan bonds. The projected cost of the new building is currently not available, and attempts to contact HCC Southwest College Operations Officer Julian Fisher and Southwest Director of Public Relations Todd Duplantis for comment were unsuccessful.

The market value of the existing campus’ land is $1,952,530 and the building is valued at $4,109,690, according to Fort Bend County Appraisal District records.

“We see a lot of benefits from our perspective,” said Joe Esch, Missouri City’s Executive Director of Economic Development. He said the move, “will be a catalyst for investment along the Texas Parkway,” adding that, “it positions HCC very well.”

An unnamed benefactor will make up the difference between the property’s appraised value and its negotiated sale price. With in-kind services from the city and municipal utility district, HCC says it will be able to move with no financial loss.

After HCC moves out, Fort Bend County is expected to occupy the current location and put it into immediate use. The surrounding vacant lots will also be developed.

The move is not a done deal until elected officials ratify all of the letters of intent currently in the negotiations.