A Successful Pairing: Opera to Go! and “The Pastry Prince”

Cast from Opera to Go! performing “The Pastry Prince.”

Brenda Jacoby, A&E Editor

“The Pastry Prince”, a new opera from Opera to Go! delighted an audience of young, and young at heart, Jan. 29 at Heinen Theater on HCC, Central Campus . The Italian Folktale is part of a collaboration between HCC and Opera to Go!’s Master Class Spring 2015 performance schedule.

“The Pastry Prince” is a light-hearted tale of love and hijinks as a troupe of actors prepare to perform for the Duke of Bologna. Singers in bright costumes moved through the whimsical set keeping the pace light and airy. The clever, often humorous lyrics easily flowed through the catchy, sometimes recognizable melodies. As a special treat, Composer Mark Buller and Libretto (lyricist), Charles Anthony Silvestri attended the event and spoke with the audience afterwards. The original opera was commissioned by Mr. and Mrs. Anthony G. Petrello.

The piano music was performed beautifully by the Musical Director Teruhiko Toda. The collaboration between HCC and Opera to Go! provides a fantastic opportunity for the community to experience opera for free. As artist-in-residence, the performers practice at the central campus. Alisa Magallion served as the MC and is the touring and ensemble manager. She explained that the 45 minute opera would be performed first, followed by a Q&A session with Buller and Silvesti.

Houston Grand Opera created HGOco in 2007 as a community-engaging, educational outreach program. The ‘co’ represents company, community, connection and collaboration. Opera to Go! is just one of seven programs available to the community created by HGOco.