Kendrick Lamar performs during The Pop Out - Ken & Friends concert presented for pgLang, Free Lunch, and Amazon Music at the Kia Forum on June 19th, 2024 in Inglewood, California.
Kendrick Lamar's "Pop Out" Concert with Friends, A Juneteenth to remember
Kai McGheeJune 21, 2024
2 years later at HCC
2 years later at HCC
Paulina Garcia, Staff Writter • June 21, 2024
Animals
The Importance of Flea & Heartworm Prevention
Guadalupe Mejia, Staff Writer • June 19, 2024
1960s-era pill could bring free love back to Houston
Health
1960s-era pill could bring 'free love' back to Houston
Brandon De Hoyos, Staff Writer • June 18, 2024
Uncategorized
Diving into the deeper meaning of Disney Pixar's "Inside Out" and how it relates to adults & children in the real world.
Kai McGhee, Student • June 14, 2024

Border Dispute in Texas

Texas State Government and U.S. Federal Government at odds over Mexican border management

The Texas-Mexican border has become a battleground between state and federal authorities as they grapple with conflicting approaches towards immigration policy. Texas Governor Greg Abbott has taken a firm stance declaring “an invasion under Article I, § 10, Clause 3 to invoke Texas’s constitutional authority to defend and protect itself.” With the use of the Texas National Guard and other apparatus, Governor Abbot has ordered the use of razor wire to be installed in its version of fortifications to further secure the border as Texas sees fit. Governor Abbott has famously also put migrants on buses and shipped them to other cities and states as he sees fit.

However, the Biden Administration has yet to acknowledge an invasion at the Texas border which would render Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s actions illicit. The Department of Homeland Security argues that immigration policies fall within federal jurisdiction and the state of Texas has no place in acting for itself. The Supreme Court has ruled in a 5-4 decision “to allow U.S. Border Patrol agents to remove the razor wire on the border wall placed by Texas law enforcement.”

Despite the ruling, Governor Abbott has instructed the Texas National Guard to continue installing razor wire along the Texas border. Furthermore, the Texas National Guard and Texas Department of Public Safety has defended razor wire installations from being dismantled by the Federal Border Patrol. Tensions are on the rise as a rogue governor tests the limits of a state’s capacity to self govern and a negligent president’s unwillingness to tackle immigration policy.