Warner Bros. Discovery Announces Renamed Streaming Service, Upcoming Projects

JB Perrette, Warner Bros. Discovery’s president and CEO of streaming, debuts the Max streaming service. (Jeff Kravitz/Getty Images)

Ryan Dickinson, Student Writer

Warner Bros. Discovery announced the renaming of its new streaming service, a combination of HBO Max and Discovery+, during a recent press event.

The new streaming service, dubbed ‘Max’, is scheduled to launch on May 23.

HBO Max is currently home to many HBO classics such as Sopranos, The Wire and ER and newer hit shows like The Last of Us, Succession and Euphoria.

According to their new website, Max.com, ‘Max’ will bring all of its iconic programming and an even deeper library of crave-worthy genres for the same great price.

While it’s true the new streaming service’s pricing will remain the same as HBO Max’s current pricing plans with a commercial plan for $9.99 per month and an ad-free plan for $15.99 per month, they are also debuting a new price tier. The new tier, titled “Max Ultimate Ad Free”, will cost $19.99 per month allowing streams in 4K UHD on 4 devices at once and up to 100 offline downloads, per Max.com.

The feedback from those online has been less than enthusiastic.

While HBO Max’s renaming may rub people the wrong way, Warner Bros. Discovery may be able to make amends with their announcement of several new series which will be added to their latest streaming service.

A DC comics series, “The Penguin”, a “Harry Potter” series featuring an entirely new cast from the films, and a new “Game of Thrones” spinoff prequel were announced to be coming soon on ‘Max’.

According to their website, you can sign up for HBO Max now, stream trending favorites like Succession and Friends and they’ll transfer your account information to ‘Max’ when it arrives on May 23.