THE LAYERS TO THE GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY

This image released by Netflix shows Kate Hudson, from left, Jessica Henwick, Daniel Craig and Leslie Odom Jr. in a scene from “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery.” (John Wilson/Netflix via AP)

Alissa Krecek, Student Writer

The film, The Glass Onion: a Knives Out Mystery, made cinema history by being the first film made by Netflix to be played in theaters.

It had a one-week-only premiere at AMC, Regal Entertainment, and Cinemark theaters on November 29th and will be released on Netflix on December 23rd.

The limited release in the theaters is not the only thing that makes this movie special.

The actor Daniel Cain plays the role of Benoit Blanc, the detective uncovering all the layers within the Glass Onion. He is the key component of making the two mysteries connect and is a vital aspect of the different storylines.

Just like in Knives Out, the plot twists were sudden and kept the audience on their toes and The Glass Onion did the same thing. Each twist and turn led Detective Blanc closer to the answer and was shown cinematically in a way that helps the audience fully understand each side of the story.

This movie is unique compared to other whodunnits, but the characters’ personalities still fit the common tropes seen in the past.

The main guy who brings everyone together Miles Bron, played by Ed Norton, is the leader of the group of friends. The fun-flirty one is Birdie Jay (Kate Hudson), the tough guy is Duke Codv (Dave Bautista), and his young, pretty girlfriend, Whiskey (Madelyn Cline). The more rational characters include Lionel Toussaint (Leslie Odom Jr.) and Claire Debella (Kathryn Hahn). Last but not least, there is always a character that seems most likely to be the killer, and in this case, it was Miles Bron’s ex-girlfriend, Cassandra Brand (Janelle Monae).

However, this is not a bad aspect of the movie. The stereotypes influence some of the twists and turn involving the characters. The truth about each character comes out and their secrets are exposed making the outcome of the mystery more shocking.

The Glass Onion is one of the funniest and most intriguing murder mysteries that have been recently released and I recommend everyone watch this movie, especially if you’re a film lover like me.

When watching this film, you can only expect surprises, so sit back and watch the layers of the onion unfold.