Tips for transferring to a four-year University

Elias Lilienfeld Quevedo, Student Writer

Community college is a great way to start the college journey. HCC is a very popular path toward transferring to a 4-year university, yet there might be some confusion regarding how to start the transfer process. If you are thinking about transferring, here are some tips that might help.

1. Start early and collect information

The first step is to do some research. Check your preferred university’s website, and check for the due dates. Research the requirements, required GPA, and maximum or minimum transfer credits accepted. Contact the admissions officer of your preferred university for guidance in the transfer process. The earlier you start doing your research, the better. Also, keep in mind that there is an agreement between HCC and other Texas institutions to facilitate the transfer. You can check the transfer plans by institutions here.

1. Meet with an academic advisor

It is very important that you meet with your academic advisor and develop a transfer plan. Academic advisors are here to help you, so do not hesitate to send them an email, call them or set up a meeting.  Discuss with them your goals and where you plan to transfer. Work with them to obtain a transfer plan which lists the university-required courses which can be taken at HCC toward your university bachelor’s degree major.

If you do not know who your academic advisor is, go to go to HCC MyEagle and select Student Sign In. Next, log in and go to the Academic Progress tile. Lastly, select the Advisor on the left to view your assigned academic advisor.

1. Make grades a priority

Community college is college. There are many students and parents that seem to disregard grades at community college but when it comes to transferring to a 4-year college, grades are imperative to be admitted to the university of your choice. It is also important to know that obtaining an associate degree from HCC will result in preferential treatment in the admission decision from some universities.

1. Get organized and apply

The key to smoothing the transfer process is to get organized. Since the transfer process requires many deadlines, be sure to have them written down, and most importantly, be sure to meet them all. Some deadlines that you encounter are Application, Financial Aid, Scholarships, or Housing deadlines.

Your success depends on you. Try to excel in your classes and do your research early to alleviate the load when the deadlines approach. Remember to meet with your academic advisor as soon as possible and obtain a transfer plan. This may sound like a lot, but you can do it! Stay committed to your plan and you will succeed.