Downtown Walk 2 Vote, Oct 29

Egalitarian Staff Report

The University of Houston – Downtown will host a student voting movement: Walk 2 Vote on Thursday Oct. 29.

The event will begin at noon at the University of Houston – Downtown, 1 Main Street, 77002, South Deck. At 2 pm, attendees will march to 1001 Preston Street for voting.

The UHD and greater Houston community will rally together to amplify the voice of young people who are tired of being ignored.

The event will be the conclusion to a month’s long voter outreach movement and will feature dancers, musical performances, and keynote speakers from the Houston area. There attendees will walk together to vote early. Election day is Tuesday Nov. 3.

With the 2012 Walk 2 Vote, over 55 percent of the UHD community registered and voted. Compare that with other university counterparts at 5-15 percent, according to the Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts University.

In 2012, the UHD started an initiative that aimed to empower students by registering them to vote and take action. From the month of August to October of 2012, the Student Government Association was able to register 2,500 students to vote.

During early voting in 2012, the SGA then hosted the Walk 2 Vote event which was attended by over 700 students, Mayor Annise Parker, and other distinguished guests. Following a brief rally, together over 300 students marched.