Council represents students

Pictured here are members of HCC’s United Student Council executive board. From left to right is Vice President Frances Rodriguez, Secretary Angela Dowdy, President Josue Rodriguez, (behind J. Rodriguez) Parliamentarian Mario Arroyo, Historian Nicholas Trevieso-Perez and Treasurer Adrian Nwanze.

Alyssa Foley, Editor in Chief

The United Student Council is the collective student body of Houston Community College. delegates from every college — Central, Coleman, Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest — represented their peers at the USC general assembly meeting on Sept. 4.

Student government is a communication channel where students can bring their concerns to the officers, who then address the college administration.

According to the official HCC student handbook, the purpose of student government is to, “address the issues brought forth by the student body,” and, “become directly involved in the decision-making processes of HCC and its colleges.”

On Friday, the council highlighted important points of the HCC Board of Trustee’s policy “D.4.4 Students Rights and Responsibilities”. Two points of student responsibility are particularly relevant to the functions of student governments and the USC.

By enrolling at HCC, “students assume the responsibility to assist HCC in the refinement of [college district] regulations to provide the greatest educational opportunity for all.”

Further, the primary purpose of student body involvement is, “to assist the administration in making better decisions.”

The assembly also discussed some particular rules regarding student groups.

Student organizations can consist of two or more students, and do not have to be registered with the school. That’s thanks to the U.S. Constitution’s guaranteed right of freedom of assembly. However, they must follow HCC’s policies. To receive student life funds, student groups must be registered through a student life office at one of the colleges.

Since club advisers will not be compensated, faculty advisers must be full-time HCC employees. The hours a part-time faculty would clock in for club advising would make them work full-time hours, hours HCC will not pay them for.

The meeting was also part leadership training seminar for the new officers.

USC Adviser Troy Jefferson told the officers how to raise awareness about issues, “Don’t assume anyone else knows anything about your situation.”

Jefferson gave an example of how to approach administrators, “[Say] there are some problems we have…We would like to help fix them. What are the steps that we can take?”

“You can be firm with it, but in a professional way,” he told student leaders to work in partnership. He also said that framing a proposal as being beneficial for the whole school resonates with administrations.

Jefferson also explained the difference between cost and value, which he considers to be the essence of politics. “Cost does not change. Value is conditional. Value is subjective, it’s in the eye of the beholder. It can change with every situation change.”

“Understand what other people hold important, what they hold dear and what they don’t hold dear. That is how you get some things done in the legislature.”

Jefferson gave the student officers a new mantra for the school year: “The fierce urgency of now.” He encouraged students to speak up in the moment. It’s inspired from a Martin Luther King Jr. quote:

“We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history, there “is” such a thing as being too late. This is no time for apathy or complacency. This is a time for vigorous and positive action.” — Martin Luther King Jr.

All students are welcome to attend the next United Student Council meeting on Oct. 2 from 10 to noon in the HCC Administration building at 3100 Main, second floor seminar room B.