FILE - Migrants wait to be processed by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol after they crossed the Rio Grande and entered the U.S. from Mexico, Oct. 19, 2023, in Eagle Pass, Texas. A Texas law that allows the state to arrest and deport migrants suspected of illegally entering the U.S. will remain on hold for now, a federal appeals court ruled. The order late Tuesday, March 26, 2024, from the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals followed a March 20 hearing by a three-judge panel of the court. It’s just the latest move in a seesaw legal case that is not yet over. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)
News
Texas' migrant arrest law is on hold for now under latest court ruling
Oswaldo Medina, Student Writer • March 27, 2024
Uncategorized
Media
Nilab Ahmadi, student • March 26, 2024
Boats move near a container ship as it rests against wreckage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
News
Baltimore Key Bridge , Francis Scott Collapse
Andrnique Boyd, Student Writer • March 26, 2024
HCC ADN Nursing Program making a 'strong comeback'?
Jennifer Mendez, Student • March 26, 2024
College student presenting their picket sign at protest
Education
Tuition Rising for Immigrant and Minority in Canada
Tammarious Scott, Associated Press • March 26, 2024

Will There Be A Future With No Movie Theaters?

How the pandemic and streaming services affected the closures of Regal Cinemas around the nation.

Ever since COVID-19 hit the world back in 2019, millions of people lost their lives to the deadly virus. Not only did people lose their family members but also their jobs, due to the fact that people had to quarantine. With everyone staying home, not a lot was happening in the outside world. A lot of businesses noticed that sales were going down and companies around the world had to file for bankruptcy. 

Two people walking by Regal Cinema theater during the pandemic. Movie theaters were closed at the time. (Jae C. Hong)

One major company, Regal Cinema has had to close many locations ever since COVID happened. According to The Hollywood Reporter, ticket prices increased in 2020 a little bit over a dollar than its regular price. From $9.16 to $10.53, theaters really needed their sales to increase. With quarantine happening many people had to stay home, with fear of catching the virus, no one wanted to risk it just for a movie. That is why many people had already chosen to stick with streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and Disney+. 

During the pandemic, streaming services were everyone’s new way of entertainment. While Netflix added 50 movies or TV shows a month and gained 16 million new sign ups, Regal Cinema chains were losing their audience. Not only were they losing people to Netflix, but Disney+ as well, Netflix’s current biggest competitor.

A lot of big movies that were released later in 2022, such as Top Gun: Maverick, helped increase sales but not enough to keep some regal chains alive. Most of the viewers were loyal fans of the films but even then, the pandemic had done too much damage. 

Regal Cinemas has a lot of locations and it is the second largest cinema company with AMC being the first. With over 450+ locations around the nation, 39 are being shut down and filed for bankruptcy.