Prayers Today, Action Tomorrow!

Ben Hendren for NY Post

Lisette Corona, Student Writer

It seems like every day we turn on the news and see another school shooting has happened. When will enough be enough so action plans can start happening to prevent these tragedies?

The recent school shooting happened on March 27 that tragically took the lives of Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs and William Kinney, all 9 years old, Katherine Koonce, 60, substitute teacher Cynthia Peak, 61, and custodian Mike Hill, 61 at Nashville’s Covenant School.

From this recent school shooting in Nashville, thousands of people gather and rally at the Tennessee State Capitol to demand their lawmakers make stronger gun laws on March 30.

Protesters chanted to their lawmakers “Save our kids!”, “Save our kids!”, “Do your job!”, “Do your job!”

Gun control activists there ranged from all ages, but the most noticeable age group was Gen Z who flooded the Capitol to demand change happens now while chanting “Six more dead! How many more?” to lawmakers trying to leave the building.

Protesters shout as Rep. Jeremy Faison, R-Cosby, Chairman of the House Republican Caucus, walks towards the House chamber doors at the State Capitol Building in Nashville , Tenn., Thursday, March 30, 2023.
AP

Students and parents rallied at the Tennessee State Capitol to make their representers take action to prevent another tragedy from happening again.

Following the Nashville school shooting online a photo of Congressman Andy Ogles family Christmas card went viral and sparked a heated debate of guns online. Congressman Ogles who represent the district of the school shooting last year Christmas card of his whole family holding assault weapons. In Congressman Ogles card said, “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference, they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good”.

Nashville Mayor John Cooper commented on the photo that is going viral online saying “We should not be celebrating the cult of the gun”. He voiced his opinion to say “I think the whole country can look at it and shudder a little bit, realize how inappropriate it is” about Congressman Andy Ogles last year Christmas card.

Enough is enough. Firearms are the number 1 leading cause of death for American children and teens according to the CDC. As of today, there had been 89 shootings on school grounds just this year and it has only been 93 days of 2023. Prayers today, Action tomorrow!

The protest inside of the floor of the Capitol building.
Seth Herald/Getty Images