Suicide Prevention Month: The Power is in Your Hands

Alissa Krecek, Student Writer

The month of September held a deeper meaning than the school year starting and the beginning of the fall season. September is National Suicide Prevention Month. This month was chosen to promote the prevention of suicide and bring attention to the subject.

Even though Suicide Prevention month wasn’t acknowledged until 2008, mental health has always been relevant in society. In 1990, those who were affected, or a loved one, formed a group to spread suicide prevention awareness. They abided by the United Nations’ rules, brought attention to the matter to make a national strategy, and held a conference in Reno, Nevada. What caught my attention the most in the main points from the conference, was how suicide stems from outside factors. This includes the community people live in and discrimination against others, like racism and homophobia. This conference declared that it is up to the public and nation to decide how they will treat others, knowing the extreme, and very real, effects it has on a person’s mental health.

I found that the conference focusing on how others can help prevent suicide is inspiring. Instead of blaming it on those who are suffering, they put it in the hands of the world to change the way they interact in social situations. One of the virtues I live by is treating everyone with kindness because you never know what someone is going through. Chances are the person giving you attitude is battling problems of their own, just like you and me. Sometimes spreading some positivity through small actions, like complimenting a stranger’s shirt, or telling your friend how much you appreciate them, can change a person’s mood, and can maybe save a life.

If you or someone you know is struggling, know that it is okay to ask for help, whether talking to a close friend or family member or going to support groups. Houston Community College also provides support on all campuses, and online. The counseling department at HCC offers free help year-round, including Mental Health and Wellness groups that are offered monthly through online meetings. In addition to the support groups and other meetings, they are offering Suicide Prevention training on September 20th, 21st, and 28th.

For more information on Houston Community College’s Counseling services visit https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/counseling/.

If you or a loved one needs help, you can reach the National Suicide Prevention Hotline by calling 9881-800-273-8255 , or Text “TALK” to 741741.