Pop Culture Recap: 2021

Pop Culture Recap: 2021

Charis Latunde, Student Writer

2021 has been a roller coaster and a blast from the past in pop culture. Britney was freed, Bennifer made a comeback and so much more. Therefore, in honor of the end of this year, here are some interesting news that took the world by surprise each month in 2021.

JANUARY

Amanda Gorman, 22, shined bright on Inauguration Day. She captivated the nation with her recitation of “The Hill We Climb” in her unmistakable yellow coat and red hairband. In a matter of hours, she gained more than a million followers on Instagram, modeling contracts, millions of book orders, and a hosting job at the Met Gala and became a National Youth poet.

FEBRUARY

The “Framing Britney Spears” documentary makes its debut. The documentary captured everyone’s interest in Britney’s conservatorship case. It shined a light into the case and gave people following the case a better perspective on it. It also grew the #freeBritney campaign. At the time the judge maintained the conservatorship governing Britney Spears.

MARCH

This was a month for women. This year’s Grammys was led by women. Swift became the first female performer to win album of the year three times, while Beyonce got her 28th win in the Grammys and become the most decorated woman in Grammy history. But the news does not stop there, Harry and Meghan had their shocking interview with Oprah, and Meghan shares her story about the fairytale turned nightmare she experienced after joining the royal family.

APRIL

Chloe Zhao takes the lead this month. Chloe takes home an Oscar as the best director for her lyrical “Nomadland” and becomes the first woman of color and second woman in history to win an Oscar as the best director.

MAY

The month of “Friends” or in other words known as Chandler, Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Joey, and Ross. Yes, this was the month we all looked forward to, the reunion. Crushes were revealed and celebrity fans were identified, and this was said to be the last reunion, but our fingers remain crossed.

JUNE

The end of Kimye as we know it. Kim Kardashian West revealed on her family reality TV show, “Keeping Up with The Kardashian” why she filed for divorce from Kanye West saying, “I don’t want a husband that lives in a completely different state,” and “I want someone who wants to work out with me.”

JULY

Season Two of “Ted Lasso” made its debut in July, which brought a new set of challenges for the nice coach and his underdog team showing us that Mr. Nice Guy does not always work. In a matter of two months, the show swept the comedy and became a huge sensation.

AUGUST

Did you see it coming? Yes, we are talking about the return of Bennifar. After almost 20 years after their very steamy and public relationship, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are back together, and they are not afraid to show some PDA to the paparazzi.

SEPTEMBER

The Met Gala is back and so is Broadway. Masked and vaccinated Broadway is back with the likes of, Lion King, Wicked, Waitress, and Hamilton. The Mets also made its comeback, led by young hosts TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET, BILLIE EILISH, GORMAN, and tennis star NAOMI OSAKA. Let us not forget the South Korean survival drama that brought K-drama to the world, “Squid Game”

OCTOBER

On a more tragic note, a gunshot was fired by actor Alec Baldwin which accidentally killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of his upcoming film “Rust” upsetting the film industry and urging for all guns to be banned on sets.

NOVEMBER

Britney is finally free! The judge finally ends the conservatorship that had controlled the star’s life for almost fourteen years. Britney described the moment as the “Best day ever”. Taylor Swift drops a 10-minute performance of intense single “All to Well” Tragedy strikes the music industry at Travis Scotts concert AstroWorld killing 10 people after the crowd surges forward to the stage.

DECEMBER

More reunions to come. Spider-Man is back and Sex in The City with the exclusion of the fourth musketeer, Samantha. But the month is not over yet, so let us keep watching what December has in store for us.