Some Electronics Will Be Hard to Get This Black Friday

The ongoing chip shortage and troubled supplied chain will make some electronics hard to come by this Black Friday.

Josue Perez, Student Writer

This year’s Black Friday will be different in some ways. Due to an ongoing chip shortage and a troubled supplied chain some electronic items might not be available, will be hard to find, and will have low discounts. Some electronics items that will be affected by these ongoing problems will be:

Game Consoles and High-End Graphics Cards – Some of the most desirable and hardest-to-get tech are gaming products. Sony’s PlayStation 5, Microsoft’s Xbox Series X, and Nintendo’s Switch have been hard to find and buy. The chip shortage is also affecting the production of these products and Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have warned that this could lead to supply constraints through 2022. The chip shortage has also led to the short supply of high-end graphics cards, which people use to upgrade their computers to run more powerful games.

Networking Devices – Wi-Fi routers usually get deep discounts but this year, shoppers should expect fewer deals. A miniature chip used to create wireless sensors in networking equipment has been in short supply due to the chip shortage. This means that retailers are less likely to slash the prices of routers since companies can only make a few.

Laptops – Retailers usually have a plethora of low-cost laptops on Black Friday that are priced under $400. This year computer makers are struggling with a shortage in USB controllers, USB controllers are chips that allow a computer to talk to the USB port. This means that low-cost laptop deals will be scares this Black Friday since manufactures are prioritizing USB controllers for the production of more expensive laptops that generate higher profits.

Audio Accessories – The chip shortage has also affected analog chips. Gadgets rely on those circuits to manage power. Speakers, headphones, and earphones rely on analog chips to lower their power consumption and connect wirelessly to other electronic devices like computers and smartphones. The good news is that this won’t affect all audio accessories. Sony and Apple develop their own chips for audio gear, so shoppers shouldn’t have trouble finding and buying audio accessories from big tech companies.

However, Katherine Cullen says shoppers shouldn’t panic. Cullen who is National Retail Federation’s senior director of industry and consumer insights says, “most of the retailers we’re talking to feel that they’re in a fairly good position for holiday shopping.” Many retailers also pushed up their ordering times and ordered more stock to prepare for the expected delays caused by the supply chain.