Many people are calling for more COVID regulations as the Delta variant becomes the dominant strain in the U.S.

Maria Lozano, Student Writer

The Delta variant has expanded to nearly every state in the United States, raising worries about COVID-19 spikes. The World Health Organization said “Based on the estimated transmission advantage of the delta variant, it is expected that delta will rapidly outcompete other variants and become the dominant circulating lineage over the coming months,” on Tuesday. As of Today, this variation is now the dominant COVID strain in the country. 

Health authorities are concerned about a resurgence since only half of the United States has received the vaccine. Recently, The WHO explained that individuals who have been completely vaccinated are encouraged to use masks in areas where COVID-19 is prevalent. Many states have not reinstated the mask mandate and have no plans to do so; but, if the situation worsens, this might change. 

The Pfizer vaccine was found to be 88% effective against symptomatic infections induced by the Delta variant after the second dosage. Additionally, Moderna’s vaccine has also been shown to function against COVID strains like the Delta variation. 

Despite many more individuals getting vaccinated daily, the delta variant’s spread is surpassing the number of people getting vaccinated every day. According to the WHO, the number of new Covid-19 cases has climbed slightly in the last two weeks following a seven-week drop.

The fast spread of the delta variant prompted President Biden to urge everyone to get vaccinated, particularly “young people who may have felt they didn’t have to be vaccinated.”