The Center for Disease Control and Prevention investigates rare heart inflammation cases potentially caused by the COVID-19 Vaccine.

Maria Lozano, Student Writer

The CDC announced an “emergency meeting” on June 10th in response to reports that the mRNA-based Moderna and Pfizer vaccines caused heart inflammation in people who received both doses. Nearly 800 cases of rare heart complications have been reported, according to statistics presented to the CDC. Myocarditis and pericarditis have been confirmed in only 226 of the 800 cases.

Myocarditis is the inflammation of the heart muscle and pericarditis is the inflammation of the outer lining of the heart. As a reaction to the vaccination or an infection in the body, the immune system may induce inflammation. The majority of patients who have been diagnosed with this rare complication have recovered on their own after being discharged from the hospital; however, 3 of the 226 individuals are still in the intensive care unit. Health officials explain how there are currently no red flags to be concerned about. 

Over 50% of cases were seen in people ages 12 to 24, the majority of these being men in their early twenties. Dr. Tom Shimabukuro, a CDC vaccine safety official, explains how “we clearly have an imbalance there” in regards to myocarditis found in a younger audience. Typically, complications are not expected from this age group.

Not all cases are verified to be linked with the COVID-19 vaccine, more research is needed to determine if there is a connection between vaccine and heart inflammation. Immunization safety experts are still looking into possible adverse effects after the vaccine. Another CDC meeting will be held to look over the data and any potential links to complications.