October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Cortney Paxton, Staff Writer

Colors often represent different things to different people.  For one person, blue may be their favorite color, or they may associate green with their car.  But in October, the color pink takes on a whole new meaning.  Pink has been linked to the month of October for Breast Cancer Awareness.  Buildings throughout cities commonly light up in pink during October, people often walk as communities bearing pink shirts, and there are pink ribbons strewn throughout vehicles, houses and buildings.  All of these efforts signify the support for people who are affected by breast cancer every year and those who are searching for a cure.

There are often community walks set up to help fund research for a cure for breast cancer.  One of the most common of these is the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, which has already taken place here in Houston.  According to the website at www.info-komen.org, this race raised nearly $1 million.  But don’t fret if you missed it!  You can get involved here at Houston Community College.

On November 9 at 8:00 a.m. the HCC Office of Student Life is hosting a Making Strides against Breast Cancer walk at CITYCENTRE.  The walk, according to the HCC website, will be to honor survivors of breast cancer and provide education on ways to prevent or screen for it.  Those interested in signing up for the walk, must fill out a sign-up form online here.

Individuals who cannot attend the walk, but want to show support for the cause, are always welcome to wear pink during the month of October.