HCC releases Clery report for 2018

Ana Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Every year, Houston Community College releases a new Clery report that contains crime information for all fifteen campuses. This report informs students, both current and prospective, of any crime happenings over the past year(s).

In the 74-page report, it explains what crimes have been committed over the past year, as well as where did it occurred. Incidents such as burglary, theft, domestic violence, and disorderly conduct are reported.

Clery reports are mandated by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or simply known as the Clery Act. This was a law signed in 1990 after a 19-year-old Lehigh University student of the same name who was raped and murdered in her campus hall of residence in 1986. Clery’s parents claimed that the university did not share vital information on crime statistics, which would have changed the course of their daughter’s decision to attend the school.

Thus, after numerous controversies, the Clery Act was signed into law in 1990. This mandates all colleges and universities participating in federal financial aid programs to release crime data and statistics to all students and faculty, making them aware of their surroundings.

If you need to report something, call Houston Community College Police Department at (713) 718-8888 or dial 911 if it’s an emergency.

Central Campus – Midtown

Midtown’s crime report has two on-campus robberies and one public property (off-campus) robbery in 2017 leading on into 2018. This is an increase of only one robbery back in 2015. Only one fondling report was verified in that same year as well. Statutory rape reports went down to zero in 2018, compared to a shocking four reports in 2016.

Motor vehicle thefts have gone down as well, compared to two thefts in 2016.

Domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking reports have gone up in the past year. Domestic violence crimes reached three in 2017, while dating violence had five in the past two years.

Arrests were down last year compared to the past two years.

Central Campus – South

South Campus reported minimal crime in the past two years. All crime has gone down by one compared to 2015 and 2016.

Central Campus – Administration (3100 Main)

The System building on 3100 Main has seen a couple car thefts between 2015 and 2017. It is advised to lock your car when leaving.

Coleman Campus – Health Science Center & McGovern

One arrest has been made for drug abuse on Coleman’s Health Science Building in 2017.

Northwest Campus – Spring Branch

Spring Branch Campus has seen recent reports of unattended fondling cases as well as car thefts in the past year. Burglaries went down, compared to 2015 when the campus only had three. Violence reports are still steady between 2015 and 2017.

Northwest Campus – Katy

2015 has seen a couple of rape cases at the Katy campus. Car theft crimes are still steady. It is highly advised to lock your cars when you are parking on campus. Also, be aware of your surroundings as there has been one report of stalking on campus.

Northwest Campus – Alief Hayes

Burglaries at the West Houston Institute spiked in 2016, but things got calmer once 2017 rolled around. It is also advised to be aware of your surroundings in this area as well, stalking reports are still steady in the past two years.

Northwest Campus – Alief Bissonnet

There has been one car theft in the recent year. For this smaller campus, it has been relatively quiet.

Southwest Campus – Stafford

Robberies went up by one this past year at the Stafford campus on Cash Road. Dating violence crimes and stalking crimes went up as well by two. Always be careful when walking around campus and be aware around you.

Southwest Campus – Missouri City & Brays Oaks

Both campuses hasn’t seen any crime within the past two years.

Southwest Campus – West Loop

Burglaries and car thefts have spiked a bit at the West Loop Center. Always keep your belongings safe and sound while attending class. There has also been a report of drug abuse within the past two years.

Southwest Campus – Gulfton

Gulfton Center has been relatively quiet, except for one report of dating-related violence on campus.

Northeast Campus – Northeast

The Public Safety Center of Excellence has become a hotspot for burglaries within the past three years, a total of six. That number has been steady ever since.

Northeast Campus – Pinemont

Burglaries have gone down at the Pinemont Center, however, car thefts have gone up by one within the past year. Domestic violence cases and stalking cases have also gone up by one within the past year.

Northeast Campus – Northline

Northline’s crime statistics are all over the place, ranging from robbery to aggravated assault. The campus is also a good hotspot for car thefts, which totaled up to 15 in the past three years. Robberies also went up to 4 within the past year as well.

There has also been arrests within the past year on campus due to drug abuse.

Northeast Campus – Automotive Center

In the Automotive Center of Excellence near the Northline Campus, crime has gone down since 2015. Only one report of burglary and one report of car theft.

Northeast Campus – North Forest

Robberies and burglaries have spiked within the past year at the North Forest Campus. Four burglaries have been reported in 2017 alone, up from two in 2015.

Northeast Campus – Acres Homes

One burglary has been reported in 2017.

Southeast Campus – Eastside

Be careful if you go to class at the Eastside campus. There has been one crime report of rape within the past year. There has also been one report of aggravated assault on campus as well.

Car thefts have been on the rise at Eastside as well, up to two within the past year.

Southeast Campus – Fraga

Burglary reports have been steady with only one case per year within the past three years.