Are You Prepared to Defend Yourself?

Jimmieka Mills, Editor in Chief

Statistics show that one in four women will be sexually assaulted within their lifetime. Studies also show that 50 percent of attackers will give up their attack when a woman fights back.

Rob Erickson and Mike Murray of Escape Self Defense have both worked for over 30 years in law enforcement and have over 40 years of background in various martial arts. Erickson and Murray started their company because they were passionate about teaching women to defend themselves, especially as we see violent crime on the rise.

“Most criminals are expecting their potential victims to freeze in fear and then completely cooperate with their demands,” says Erickson.

Erickson also makes a clear distinction that depending on the situation one may find themselves in, walking away alive is always the main objective.

“As a law enforcement professional, I never recommend risking your life to hold on to your property. Items can be replaced, but you cannot. Now, if you believe that he wants to assault, sexually assault, or kill you, then you have a very important decision to make.”

Erickson believes that important decision must be made ahead of time with training that will equip victims with the skills to survive a sudden violent attack.

“You must be mentally prepared to fight for your life. It is also necessary to have training to know what to do physically to stop your attacker and escape.” Says Erickson.

Studies have shown that in many sexual assault attacks, the predator will try to force a victim to a secondary location such as behind bushes, into an abandoned building, or into a vehicle. 90 percent of the time, if this happens, the victim will be killed.

“This is a sad statistic, but it does bring home the importance of being prepared to fight, with everything you have got, to avoid abduction.” Adds Erickson.

It may seem pointless to prepare for a situation that one feels they will never experience, but to that Erickson says,

“If you knew your chances were one in four that you would be thrown in a pool or off a boat into deep water, then you would prepare yourself with swimming lessons at an early age. Statistically, there is a 30 percent chance that you will be involved in a car accident in your lifetime. I trust you wear your seat belt just in case.”

The four hour seminars are $49 and focus on leverage, movement and attitude. Seminars are open to any female 15 and older.

“We teach a simple, but effective step by step approach. No complicated moves, this is especially designed for women to use their strengths against a man’s weakness. We also include videos and talk about protection from domestic violence, date rapes, campus violence, active shooter scenarios, home invasions, etc.”

Escape Self Defense hosted a seminar at the HCC Spring Branch Campus and hopes to host another event on campus in the near future.

If you are interested in having a seminar at your campus or workplace or finding the dates, times and places, of Escape Self Defense seminars, please leave a message for Rob Erickson or Mike Murray at 832-510-8753