‘Inside Out’ relates to all

Disney-Pixar via AP

In this image released by Disney-Pixar, characters, from left, Anger, voiced by Lewis Black, Disgust, voiced by Mindy Kaling, Joy, voiced by Amy Poehler, Fear, voiced by Bill Hader, and Sadness, voiced by Phyllis Smith appear in a scene from “Inside Out.”

Erik Calderon, Staff Writer

Inside Out is the story about a girl growing up and becoming more and more complicated as her emotions develop, mature and grow.

As a Houston Community College film student, I’m always paying attention to the first 10 minutes of the film. How are the characters being introduced — and of course — am I getting drawn into the story. I pay attention to the story, or course and how it ends.

Inside out starts off with memories. Echos of life, introducing us to the character and getting us up to speed. I met Joy, Sadness, Anger, Disgust, Mom and Dad. I met memories and how they’re stored, made and recalled.

Yes, the introduction might not sound like it draws you into the story, but it did. The sheer simplicity of how we feel, and how we make memories, really drew me into the film and I wanted to get into the story, which starts us off with a move, a simple move that creates the conflict of the story.

Ever had a song stuck in your head…

This film — like all of Pixar’s films — is made for kids, but really geared for adults.

Instantly, I was able to relate to the film, having moved several times in my life, I know how traumatic it can be.

Life was so much easier when I was a kid. I was either happy, sad, disgusted or angry. It was easy to understand myself, it was easy to move forward with how I felt about things and make decisions.

This film gave me so much food for thought. Of course, the character development was amazing, the character arc was so clear, reaching into the past, growing older, memories, memories and more memories and how they influence us in the present moment.

If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. It will make you laugh, it will make you anxious, it will make you feel sad, I even saw a few people crying. The film will move you, as a good film does.

___

Did you know that Pixar started off as, “Graphics Group,” in 1979 as a computer division of LucasFilm, and in 1986 it was spun off as Pixar with funding from Steve Jobs, which became a majority stockholder? Walt Disney then bought Pixar for $7.8 billion, and Steve Jobs became the largest single shareholder of Disney of all time.

Pixar is famous for some of the most amazing animated films; 13 of their films are on the list of 50 most grossing films of all time, with ‘Frozen’ coming in at $1.27 billion.

Does that put some perspective on the company that just came out with ‘Inside Out’? Which, by the way is currently at $363 million

‘Inside Out’ opened on June 19 worldwide, and is still set to gross at least another cool $300 million. Can Pixar pick them or what? They have talent, amazing storytelling abilities, and an amazing way to make money!

__

Written by Erik Calderon of HCC MovieMakers Academy. Watch their reviews at YouTube.com/HCCMovieReviews