Campus Safety Tips

Miltondawson / Wikimedia Commons

Always be safe when walking to your car and pay attention to your surroundings. Park in a well-lit parking spot. No matter the time of day, walk with someone or call campus security to walk you to your car.

Erik Calderon, Staff Writer

Crime on campus doesn’t happen that often, but we can always pick up good habits whether
on campus or off.

Houston has a crime rate a little less than twice the national average (The Houston city crime rate is 541.7; the U.S. average is 301.1). In 2012, Houston had over 11-thousand assaults per 100,000 residents and over 26 -thousand burglaries per 100,000 residents.

Be safe when walking to your car and pay attention to your surroundings. Park in a well-lit parking spot. No matter the time of day, walk with someone or call campus security to walk you to your car. Try to develop the habit of parking in safe, well-lit spots and walk with someone.

Why? Check out these incidences from campus crime reports reports.

A female student was assaulted on Friday May 8 at 2:40 p.m. at the Central midtown campus Parking Lot 1. She was walking from Parking Lot 1 to 3601 Fannin. She was attacked from behind. The suspect fled in a red Toyota Camry.

Another tip is to not leave bags or backpacks in sight in your car.

A student’s vehicle was burglarized while he was in class on Thursday May 7 at the Katy Campus, 1550 Fox Lake. The incident was reported on reported at 6:00 p.m. that day.

You can check out up-to-date police reports here.