Uncategorized
Your Educational Journey Does Not Have To Be Linear
Chayanne Cabrales July 5, 2024
Bronny James & father LeBron James, #6 of the Los Angeles Lakers, in Los Angeles, California, last year. 
Photo Credit: Harry How/Getty Images
Making History: Lebron & Bronny James becomes first father-son duo in the NBA
Kai McGhee July 5, 2024
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/21014923/home-fireworks-safety
Animals
How To Keep Your Pet Comfortable This 4th of July
Guadalupe Mejia, Staff Writer • July 4, 2024
Most graduates left commencement after walking across stage. This image was taken while the last five rows were walking at graduation Saturday, May 14.
Uncategorized
My Experience As A First Generation Student
Carla Castañeda July 4, 2024
The Houston Chronicle reports, at least 353 killings in Houston since 2009 remain unsolved, with only about 7 percent of those cases involving white victims.
Houston Crime
Paulina Garcia, Staff Writter • July 3, 2024

Riding the Heat Wave

As a born and raised Houstonian, I am not a stranger to Houston’s increasingly erratic and severe weather patterns. The city’s weather has experienced an extreme temperature shift within the last few years, with Houstonians experiencing more extreme temperatures than average temperatures. 

Houston has a history of having hot and humid summers, the temperatures usually rising past the 90s (Fahrenheit) with the occasional thunderstorm providing temporary relief from the sweltering heat. However, this predictable pattern has begun a dramatic shift with Houston experiencing some of the highest temperatures on record.

In 2023, the highest temperature recorded in Houston was 109F. 2023 was also the hottest summer on record since the 1850s. There are many reasons for the excessive heating of the planet from climate change to El Nino climate patterns.

The urbanization of Houston and it’s growth as a concrete jungle has also led to a lack of green areas, reflecting heat off of its infrastructure and reducing the land’s natural ability to absorb rainwater, leading to excessive flooding. 

Why is knowing this information important?

What can we do about it?

On a global scale, there have been some mitigation efforts to combat climate change through reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Spreading awareness through campaigns and educating residents on how to stay safe during either extreme weather events will lower the amount of people negatively affected by the climate. In retrospect, Houston must invest in strengthening the infrastructure to manage both extreme heat waves and excessive rainfall that causes flooding.

As the world’s climate begins to change, Houston and many other cities are navigating these new challenges by creating adaptive strategies to combat the erratic weather in an attempt to protect infrastructure and the residents.