The Egalitarian salutes HCCs Spring 2024 graduates
Showcase
The Egalitarian salutes HCC's Spring 2024 graduates
Egalitarian StaffMay 15, 2024
Uncategorized
My HCC Experience
Julia PerezMay 9, 2024
Uncategorized
Katy Texas Urban Legend Centuries In The Making
Zachary MillerMay 7, 2024
Houston Community College is an open admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education.
Education
My amazing commutity college experience with Houston Community College
Tammarious Scott, Associated Press • May 7, 2024
Reflecting on My College Experience
Reflecting on My College Experience
Julissa SaucedaMay 7, 2024

My College Experience

As May 17th approaches I look back and think about how Houston Community has been a huge milestone in my journey to success. Throughout my college experience here I’ve learned the importance of life as well as taking on opportunities to expand my career choices , resources and personal goals. Before I attended Hcc i had intentions on attending college the traditional way by attending a University. However , because I often battled with myself if college was something for me or not, I decided to start off at Hcc .

My first semester taught me organization . Having a mapped out schedule is important because in order for me to succeed I need to be prepared and organized to function and to make sure I’m not overwhelming myself . Throughout my first semester I also learned the importance of having an open mindset . In order for me to strive I needed to be open to having a positive attitude no matter how hard and stressful certain subjects can be . I often worried about math courses because I felt I wasn’t intelligent enough , until I changed my perspective by applying a positive mindset . Although Hcc has taught me many things, I think the most important thing I’ve learned  was to not be afraid to start over and try again or try something new .

I remember my second semester where I started taking classes for my desired major . For as long as i can remember i always wanted to be an entrepreneur and it all started way the age of 10 when i decided to start up  a lemonade stand business . Since then I always had the desire to be an entrepreneur so I decided to major in Business Management . At this time Covid took place and the school setting began to change from in person to online. As the semester went by I often started to struggle with attending courses online being that I’m a visual learner and  became uninterested in accounting so I decided to research and question other majors. I remember contacting my advisor who supported my decision wholeheartedly. She advised me throughout college that I will change my major several times until i figure out what exactly it is that I want to do .

She advised me that sometimes you have to start over to have a clean slate to think clearly and after discussing my opinions I then decided to switch my major to Mass Communication and Arts . At first I was scared to switch my major because I felt like I had to settle. However my professors and advisors reminded me that it’s okay to start over and to always be open to new options and opportunities .

Throughout my whole journey at Hcc I feelI feel as if I’mas if I’m content that I decidedI decided on this institute. From my supportive professors and advisors to the resources Hcc provided such as career hubs , certain student clubs , free events and all I feel as if I didn’t attend here I wouldn’t be as successful. With that being said thank you Houston Community College staff and board for all you do .