This image released by AMC shows Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live. (Gene Page/AMC via AP)
Walking Dead’s “The Ones Who Live” Aired Finale March 31st
Zachary MillerApril 16, 2024
Trouble on the Texas horizon as S.B.4 is put on hold
Politics
Marco Flores, Student Writer • April 16, 2024
Graduation
A Graduation Story
Andrnique Boyd, Student Writer • April 16, 2024
Immaculate Movie Review
Entertainment
'Immaculate' Movie Review
Julissa SaucedaApril 16, 2024
News
Fire in Copenhagen burns down 17th Century Old Stock Exchange Building
Diego Hernandez, Student Writer • April 16, 2024

Celebrate the present, Remember the past, Look towards the future.

HCC’s Class of 2023

Many of us see the accomplishments of a graduate student but no one gives you an inside loop on the things that students go through emotionally and physically. I will be expanding on the many struggles of a student pursuing their career. As a student at this college, I can personally say that I have gone through my fair share of troubles mentally and physically.  Things like procrastination, stress, and time management. I’d like to share two stories of graduating students I have interviewed here at Houston Community College.

The most difficult obstacles for student 1 throughout his HCC experience was time management and dealing with procrastination as well.  Everyone deals with these problems differently and the way he deals with it is that he says “Stop doing it for a minute. Face the problem and deal with it.” Implying that he would give some time to himself without work on his mind and figure out what is bothering him to attack it at the core. Another difficult thing he had to do was learn a lot for himself because he took online classes. The greatest achievement of his was to learn more about himself in college, he wants to fix his bad habits and learn from them. He also will be continuing his education and will be the first to graduate in his family.

The most difficult obstacles for student 2 was she had to find her pace coming into college and finding where she fits in. Overtime she has learn how to be confident in her appearance. Many people may be discouraged to go to college because of things they hear from friends or other sources, but she says that “she has enjoyed her experience and people have been helpful and nice.” She will be continuing her education as well into a 4-year university. She has dealt with her stress differently than what student 1 because that is what helps her clear her mind. She would leave and talk a walk around to relieve her stress. She says “If it doesn’t get done, it doesn’t get done. Which things you shouldn’t stress about, which ones you should.” Implying that not everything in your life is worth taking up the entirety of your focus, if you miss one of your assignments, make up for it or continue and finish the rest of your assignment to your utmost ability. The greatest achievement for her was actually graduating because she didn’t think she’d be here and becoming the first to graduate in her family too. She also states that “It’s not as bad as people say college is. There is a benefit into coming to a community college.” For someone that doesn’t know what they want to pursue, it is a good foot in the door for you. She came to college to find herself and her path. Personally, I think that in itself is something worth admiration because she surely is finding herself and will continue to do so.

I share these stories in hopes that other students can take something from them and continue in the pursuits of their careers. I know everyone has been at a point in the college experience when they wanted to just leave it all behind but sometimes all you need is a push from your fellow college mates. As they say knowledge is power so it must be worth the pursuit. There is a Somali proverb, “A’qoon la’aan, wa iftiin la’aan” meaning “absence of knowledge is the absence of light. You won’t know what to pursue without having knowledge of it or where to go if there is an absence of it.” So don’t give up and push forward in your endeavors!