The Equalizer 3

Jourdan Simmons, Student Writer

The Equalizer is a movie series based loosely on the 1980s TV show bearing the same title. The lead character, Robert McCall, is played by multi- award winning actor Denzel Washington. This series is now in its 3rd sequel and is the first sequel ever played by Washington.

The movie is based on the life of retired and “back from the dead”, special forces agent Robert McCall and his attempt to live a normal life while trying to atone for the many deeds he had done as a tier 1 operator in the U.S. military.

While many people view him as a hero, Robert could be considered an anti-hero based on his actions and resolve. With the use of lethal force (mostly without firearms), he rights the wrongs of many victims outside of the jurisdiction of the local or international authorities. The combination of his sealed military records, “deceased” status and inept police work, make him a formidable foe for any bad-guy looking to get over on the regular citizens of whatever city McCall happens to be living in at the time.

In the first and second installment of the series, we find Mr. McCall, working regular jobs (A hardware store in one and a Lyft driver in the other) and moonlighting as a vigilante. While the foes are often foreigners that infringe upon the rights of normal people, one installment (SPOILER ALERT!!) McCall is pitted against other former Special Ops bad-guys, which makes for great theater as the fight scenes are gruesome and action packed. Not to mention, the plot in both films is well written and has a believable quality to it that most movies with similar ideas don’t have.

The final chapter of the Equalizer, also directed by award winning director Antoine Fuqua, is slated to be a film for the ages. While much of the film is being kept under wraps, we have been hearing whispers of a reunion of Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning. The two were co-stars in the blockbuster hit “Man on Fire” over 18 years ago. The former child star has many credits to her acting resume, including ‘War of the Worlds’ and ‘The Secret Life of Bees’, which many consider her breakout role.

The pairing of the two should bring much needed acting star power to this already star-heavy film.

While I am anxious to see the 3rd installment of this project, I must say that I will be sad to see it end and get a final resolution for Robert McCall.

Should there be an Equalizer 4? Maybe they could pass the torch. What do you think..?photo provided by https://wallpaperaccess.com/the-equalizer