Categories:

Does the Walz-Vance Debate have a Significant Impact?

CBS News Vice Presidential Debate, screenshot photo

The vice-presidential debate creates an opportunity to impact on the national presidential election. “One reason why the Walz-Vance debate might shift more opinions this year is that Harris and Trump shared a stage only once, in early September. That means Tuesday may be the last chance before Election Day for voters to see the two tickets square off directly” says Historical analysis and a political science professor at Rice University in Houston, Mark P. Jones, to AP.

Historically, the voters aren’t really persuaded by a candidate’s running mate according Professor Jones, “The evidence we have is that they’re really voting for the presidential nominee.” And “it’s always possible that, at the margins, it may matter” he explains.

Both the presidential and vice-presidential candidates debated on different national and foreign issues, on immigration, abortion, economy, China, Iran and Isreal and other issues.

“Both parties are digging deep into their respective bases, which has heightened the division across the country, leaving less room for middle ground or bipartisan discussions” says Patrick Clark, Journalism student at Central Houston Community College (HCC). “It shows how critical performance and perception have become in this digital age, where every moment is scrutinized by the public” he adds.

“The presidential campaign has been chaotic” s   ays another HCC Journalism student, Loren Garcia. She explains that the debates, the attempted assassination of Trump to celebrity endorsements, the situation has become overwhelming. Both students think it is crucial to participate in the electoral process by showing up at the polls, the widespread misinformation makes it difficult for individuals to form well-supported arguments about who should lead the country.

The debate of Democratic Governor of Minnesota, Walz and Republican Senator of Ohio, JD Vance will have influence. But their responsibility is limited and know in the Constitution’s 25th Amendment, ratified in 1967, the vice president becomes president “in case of the removal of the president from office or of his death or resignation.”