The Kinsey Collection at the Holocaust Museum Houston

Read about captivating African American Art & History.
Carla Castañeda
The Kinsey Collection All photographs taken by Carla Castañeda

Art and history are some of the most intertwined subjects available to learn from. When mixed they become an even greater source of captivating entertainment and or knowledge.  This article will talk about an influential collection of African American art & history that has been hitting museums globally known as The Kinsey Collection.  

Bernard & Shirley Kinsey own this collection of art and artifacts acquired over time when traveling. While collecting they realized that there were many aspects of their cultural heritage that they hadn’t known. The Kinseys wanted to expand the knowledge of their vast collection, to develop a deep understanding & connection with their own African American culture. With this, they opened their collection to the public in numerous museums around the world including our very own Holocaust Museum Houston. The Kinsey collection celebrates the achievements and contributions of black Americans from before the formation of the United States to the present times. 

Part of this collection is at the Holocaust Museum Houston, my current employment. It’s been an honor to see this collection every week and to learn something new every time I see it. From what I’ve seen working admissions this is a popular and culturally important collection for many African Americans. The collection at HMH shows paintings, sculptures, and historical artifacts. A question that I frequently get asked is: Why is this collection being shown at a Holocaust museum?   

Holocaust Museum Houston is dedicated to educating people about the Holocaust, remembering the six million Jews and other innocent victims, and honoring the survivors’ legacy. Using the lessons of the Holocaust and other genocides, we teach the dangers of hatred, prejudice, and apathy. To create a better future, we must first learn from the past. The Kinsey collection, paired with the Holocaust Gallery, helps us understand the dangers of hatred, prejudice, and apathy in any society. If we understand these important lessons, we can move forward together and create a better world for everyone. 

If you have a passion for art & history this is a must-see. This collection has brought a new community growing interested in seeing our museum strive in the future.  People have come from all around America to glimpse our piece of history. The collection however will be leaving HMH around June 23rd. So if you’re free head on over and see Kinsey.