Free tutoring Oct 17

Students+studying+in+the+Central+HCC+library.+%0AThe+Central+library+is+one+of+five+locations+where+Phi+Theta+Kappa+will+host+Study+blasts+on+Saturday+Oct.+17.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Free tutoring Oct 17

Students studying in the Central HCC library. 
The Central library is one of five locations where Phi Theta Kappa will host Study blasts on Saturday Oct. 17.

Students studying in the Central HCC library. The Central library is one of five locations where Phi Theta Kappa will host Study blasts on Saturday Oct. 17.

Thomas Hopkins

Thomas Hopkins

Thomas Hopkins

Alyssa Foley, Editor in Chief

Study blasts will be hosted at five Houston Community College libraries on Saturday Oct. 17, 9 am – 4 pm. The free tutoring, food, refreshments and study time will take place at Central, Alief-Hayes, Eastside, Northline and West Loop campus libraries.

The West Loop campus will have an additional study blast session on Sunday Oct. 18 from 1-5pm.

These events are hosted by HCC’s Omega Sigma chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.

“This event is to help students who are struggling in their classes,” said Angie Chacko, the group’s public relations officer. “We’re going to have tutors — professors and students — made available for students to come and learn from.”

“The official goal is to help lower the number of students failing or dropping their courses,” stated Chacko, “We’re hoping that through this, students will be a little more equipped to pass their class and they won’t be tempted to drop.”

They plan on lowering the drop and the failing rate by “boosting these students’ confidence; letting them know that they are not alone and that they have access — that they have help from other students and professors,” said Chacko.

These events were originally planned to be before midterm exams, but with differing exam dates from class to class and instructor to instructor, it’s difficult to pin down one ‘midterm week’ at HCC.

The group is looking for more instructors and students to volunteer as tutors. Volunteer tutors will receive a certificate with the complete number of volunteer hours that they served.

The tutoring blasts won’t stop at midterms. The group is plans on hosting another study blast before finals.

Until then, Chacko mentions that, “we’re also hoping that maybe some of the tutors would be interested in keeping up with these student throughout the semester until finals. That way, they can keep up with the progress of these students and maybe offer some assistance if they need help — probably two times a month would be good — but we’re going to be talking about connecting students and tutors that way.”

“Phi Theta Kappa is offering this because it’s part of our college project,” explains Chacko, “We’re trying to make college a better place for the students, and easier for the students and more helpful for the students and the community. We’re hoping this will benefit all students of HCC, and eventually work its way into the community.”

Ultimately, “Phi Theta Kappa is doing it just to help out their fellow students.”

To volunteer as a tutor or for more information about the study blast events, contact Angie Chacko angie.chacko.publicrelations@gmail.com or Jessica Nguyen jessica.vp.scholarship@gmail.com

About the Contributors
Alyssa Foley, Editor

Alyssa served as The Egalitarian editor-in-chief from October 2014 - May 2016, and she served as the news editor from January 2017 - May 2017. She transferred...

Thomas Hopkins, Photo Editor

You can reach him at thopkins@hccegalitarian.com

Follow him online and on Twitter @tomhopkinsphoto